1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Mowman, Jun 13, 2000.

1. The Mowman

The Mowman LawnSite Member

Just wondering what is the standard for safety protection while mowing? I use headphones for mowing with a visor for string trimming.<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>
  2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i carry a 9mm........on not that kind of protection. ear phones abd oakley sunglasses<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: columbiaplower
  3. The Mowman

The Mowman LawnSite Member

4. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Steel toes, Eye protection(all the time), and hearing protection(Elvex FM stereo 29db).
  5. snow

snow Guest

I have steel toed work boots, and the headphones that go along with my minidisc player. For jobs with a lot of trimming i have sunglasses that came with my wendys happy meal(it's no joke!).<p><br>Bryan<p>----------<p>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: snow
  6. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Don't rely on sunglasses to protect your eyes from flying debris. I know that they help with the light stuff, but they are not designed to protect against impact the way saftey glasses are. Many saftey equipment companies are now selling stylish sunglasses that comply with safety regulations.
  7. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

I use one of those Echo hardhat,ear-muff,with flip down visor things. Long sleve shirts help protect from the sun.
  8. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Steel toe boots, Ear muffs, safety sun glasses that not only protect from the sun but wrap around the side of my head to protect from debris. Regular sunglasses will not do the trick. I know I look like Forest Gump but all of that gear keeps me safe. <p>I figure I will need my hearing for some time to come. Without my eys it would be hard to do mow and trim. I do not even want to think what it would feel like to have a toe cut off.<p>This is an interesting post. I see a lot of compaines down here not using hearing or eye protection. I always wonder why not. It just makes sense to me use them.<p><p>----------<br>Jeff<br>
  9. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

I wear polycarb. sunglasses, wide straw hat to keep the sun off my head & neck, steel toed Redwings, and ear protection. Occasionally a Trojan, ribbed of course, I believe in 100% customer satisfaction.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Try the sheepskin - all natural and greater sensitivity. LOL<p>Ear plugs and a sony stereo headphone set. Trimming I add the safety glasses. Toes have the steel wrapper. Other than that I dont wear a hat or long sleeves, I'm not light skinned but I do watch and don't burn at all.