Protective Gear

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ultracut518, Apr 26, 2008.

1. ultracut518

ultracut518 LawnSite Member

I'm curious to know what kind of protective equipment you guys are wearing (if any) when spraying broadleaf killers like 3-way or escalade? Thanks

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ultracuts

Page down to a thread about PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). The label will have the required PPE listed in the top right hand column.

3. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

None I mix the stuff with afternoon for a drink I think alittle bit of exposure will build the resistence to the stuff.

Just kidding

When I go out here is how I roll I wear cargo pants with a company polo shirt. I have a pair of nice hikking boats that I wear until I get to job site. When I get to the job site I wear rubber boats, neopyrene gloves, bibs and saftey glasses, on windy days I will break out the mask and were it.
    When I am done at a job I slip boots, gloves, and bibs off and put them in back. My truck also carries my family so I am extra careful to not carry the chemicals into the truck. Every so often I will go into truck and take ammonia and water and wip the surfaces down espically the ones that kids come into contact with

4. BocaChris

BocaChris LawnSite Member

Ric
    Do you recommend and type of chem resistant boots or shoes? I currently dont own a pair and not sure where I could get some around here

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I always wear my ppe, didn't use to:dizzy: Back when I was young and stupid, I always wear long pants, long sleeved shirt, gloves, and running shoes with chem resistant over shoes, and glasses. If a product requires more ppe than that, I typically shy away from that product.

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

When spraying with tank/hose I wear carhartt pants ,rubber boots with pants legs tucked in and water proof chaps over all this. I wear nitrile(gauntlet)gloves. I should wear long sleeved shirt but don't unless it's cold. It's usually so hot and humid in this area that I wear a short sleeved shirt most of the time. When mixing concentrates(especially liquids) I wear wrap around safety glasses. I feel most of the time my legs and feet have the greatest potential for exposure. That's why I wear the chaps for added protection.One time I saw this guy that worked for a pest control company that sprayed peoples yards for fleas/ticks with a JD9. He said his hair had been falling out in clumps. I looked down at his feet and he was wearing tennis shoes. I asked him if he wore rubber boots. He said " No way, they're way too hot". What an idiot!:hammerhead:

7. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I give all my guys neoprene boots, gloves and eye-protection. They are required to wear it anytime a application is being made or risk discliplinary action up to, and including possible termination. The long-sleeve shirts they are issued are light and breathable so they wick away moisture/heat rapidly and they seem to like them.
    The time when I have the most concern is when concentrates are being handled. Its easy to become forgetfull regarding PPE while filling a truck but is probably the easiest way for guys to get in trouble. I have strict rules regarding PPE while in the fill area, sometimes beyond label requirements but my "biggees" are wearing gloves, boots, aprons and faceshield. I make spot inspections in the afternoons while they are filling for the next day and I also have cameras throughout the shop that I can monitor even while getting my butt chewed by a customer. I do this not because I am so old bastard (which I am) but for the safety of everyone involved.

8. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ding, ding, we have a winner.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Chris

I don't buy much from Lesco but boots are one thing I buy there. They are 6 inches high and have a steel toe. I put Arch supports in them. I can mail order the same boot at 75% of the price of Lesco. But My feet are important and I want try boot on my feet before committing to them. BTW I wear them all the time, not just when I am spraying. BTW If you go to the Venice JDL-Lesco say hello to Jerry for me. He is a long time Lesco employee and knows his stuff.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Speedo and snorkeling mask.