1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Protective safety gear

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Feb 14, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

What do yo guys use for:

1. footwear?
    2. gloves?
    3. eyewear?

Time to purchase, but I will wait for your feedback first....
  2. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

It depends what the label says.

ranges from cheapo Nitrale gloves and safety glasses up to chemical suits and respirators.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

footwear 8 inch high redwing laceups,top grain cowhide leather gloves,glasses for me when i wear my contacts i use sunglasses a cheap pair.
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

10 inch rubber overboot, chemical gloves, and shades. :cool: :cool:
  5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

knee high rubber boots,mask, glasses, nitrile gloves, for spraying, dust mask and gloves for granular. And long slleeves/pant when using pesticides. Straight fert I do in shorts only, weather permitting. Masks a must, guys!!! The dust/vapor is bad too! Even silica in lime is a possible carcinogen.
  6. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

The label on whatever product you are using usually tells what safety precautions are required.
    Myself, its long pants mostly long sleeve shirt (especially for spraying), rubber lace up boots, rubber gloves when I'm filling and I'm beginning to wear safty glasses more often as well.

I noticed someone wearing leather boots and leather gloves.
    Doesn't fert murder leather boots quick?
    Also liquids and some granular products can penetrate leather.
    Not the best protection!
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

long pants,sunblock,earphones,quality 3m dust masks,gloves and protective boots!
  8. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

#11 No Lining Rubber Gloves, long sleeves, Rubber Tingleys cut off 5 inches above the ankles with pant legs outside. Cap and Ray Ban Wayfarers.

The cap is a must. I heard about a guy who wouldn't wear one once. He walked into an metal storage shed eave. It peeled his forehead back like a flap covering the skull. Its saved me alot more than once myself...
  9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I know very well to read the label! My questions has been satisfied though. I was searching for individual styles of each.....wouldn't leather be risky since it is so porous?
  10. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

1. Rubber Overshoes over boots or
    Rubber chore boots, after stepping out of loafers
    2. Unlined rubber gloves
    3. Wrap around safely sun glasses

P.S. Got a spot on my right eye that I'm almost sure came from a hose that blew up on me about 4 years ago during a herb. app. I had glasses on and got to flood my face and eyes with clean fresh water in maybe 3 minutes but the spot appeared a couple of days after the accident. Sure wish I'd been wearing the wrap around glasses that day. Then again maybe it wasn't the herbicide. Maybe I'm just gettin old.

Anyway, buy lots and change often