1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Protero 230 vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacLawnCo, Jun 3, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in somewhat of a bind. I have a few lawns, totaling about 50k sf of turf that require me to bag, which im being compensated for. I currently have a 48" wb and my side cloth bag. Its not going very quickly. Im looking into other options, one of which is the protero 230 vac for the wb. They can have it to me for $1200. Do you guys think this is a good deal? I cant swing a walker now, and im not convinced its for me either. I doubt anyone has any experience with the 230, but has anyone seen them at some shows? How are the other protero vac?

Heres what they look like for anyone that has not seen it:

2. MacLawnCo

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

They look solid. I'm looking at the larger model for a rider. If you go for it, let me know how she works.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Have no experience with the type system you have pictured, but it raises some questions, wondering if you've considered.

Besides the extreme 'rigged' look, the total weight of this thing full of grass is going to get substantial isn't it? Because of it's location, isn't it really going to force your mower leave ruts in even slightly soft ground. Being on one side, might it play havoc with steering? Especially on sloped terrain.

When you do need to do under mower service work, just how much time is it going to be added because of where this contraption sets?

Just wondering, Good Luck.
  5. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh yes. the quest to make a walk behind a better bagger. Not bashing walk behinds, but they are 1 dimensional great cutting machines, To add anything to them will be a sacrafice in some other area such as visibility, operating width, and weight. It boils down to what properties you have and can a system like this benefit your productivity at no sacrafice to quality and efficiency.
    The gane is similar with ZTR's, just a few more options. I am loohing harder and harder at Walkers when it comes to bagging and more rolled into 1 package.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I think that model is also able to sit sideways of how it is now, and back at a slant, probably alittle better under trees and on hills that way. It looks nice though, does it run off of a spindle via belt? Will your machine have enough power to do that? Have you looked at an Accelerator aluminum catcher, the large ones are supposedly lighter than a smaller steel one and hold much much more. They're not real wide either, just alittle longer. They have a quick mount, bracketless system, I'd be looking hard at one if I had to do any catching but right now I'm mulching and discharging. Is mulching possibly something you could do instead of bag?
  7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, Ihave all the same afore mentioned ?'s but one other: HOW ON EARTH DO YOU LOOK AROUND YOU/ IN FRONT OF THE FERRIS DECK????????????????????:confused: cant they make a lower AND wider one?
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Go Into jrcoinc.com And See the Transporter & Tub Plus The accelerator Bagger. I think It will Run You about 850 Or so For everything. You Can Put 10 Bushels in the Hopper and Five In the Bagger. It Comes Of In seconds and You can see Where you are Going.
  9. MacLawnCo

First post was over a year ago... Are there any units in the field as of now? Still wanting one and still not wanting to play guinea pig.
  10. Leaping

Leaping LawnSite Member

I have a trac-vac for my 48 ferris. when i first got it i loved it. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. about the third time i had to unload 45 gallons of material it sucked. Now my trac-vac is my leaf loader. I enjoy it much more now. Just wish i would have put that money into a real leaf loader.

One lesson learned the hard way for me.