Prototype: Feedback Needed on Tanaka Short-Shaft Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by Tanaka, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    Below is a prototype of a Tanaka short shaft hedge trimmer. Help us build the one you have been waiting for by providing us some feedback on:

Ideal overall length?

Preferred articulating angle range?

Engine cc?

Blade length?

Other?

Thanks,

-MW

shaft type hedge trimmer.jpg

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

one thing I would like to see is an extension that could be added for larger hedges I have some that are over 12 feet tall and about 7 feet deep and it is dangerous trying to get a ladder in the back up aganst the fence. I am using stihl right now and they are about 3 feet short of trimming the top from one side. I tried a shorter set of echo trimmers and they vibrated to much so I took thm back. I also have a bad habit of having a slight angle on the hedges i trim. a level indicator might help. maybe a grease fitting or two to grease the shaft and gear box.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Reminds me a lot of my old Maruyama. I have found the need for all three types, a standard, and extended and a short-shaft. My Maruyama is a non-articulating model and I think I would have preferred it to be articulating, though I am not sure of the range. I think 24cc should be plenty as should a 22-24" blade. My main complaint with the Maruyama is the weight. It gets heavy fairly quickly. I believe it is probably 15lbs or so, the lighter you can make it the better. From the picture it looks as if the forward handle leans toward the blade. I am sure this would work better for overall balance, but even better, make it adjustable.

4. ProMo

some quick change blades like on an electric carving knife would be cool, then you could have a set of blades for delicate plants and one for heavier trimming,so one set would stay sharper

5. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

6. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Guys-
    The unit shown at the front of this thread is a 21cc, 1.1 h.p. short shaft hedge trimmer. It articulates 55 degrees forward and 10 degrees back.

Also, it only weighs 12.1 lb.s However the shaft length is 22" and the blade length is 22" for a total length of 44".

Is the shaft length too short? What is the minimum length is needs to be?

Thanks,

-MW

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

8. ProMo

on some of the hedges I trim I need the 90° to get between the shrub and the wall

9. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

30" blades, 22- 24 cc, 36" shaft, blades need to articulate five settings (0,10, 22, 33, 45 degrees) something like that. I would buy one.