Proud new owner (metro 21")

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jason r., Sep 7, 2003.

1. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Just got a 'new to me' metro 21" mower. Cuts great and bags great! My dealer was telling me about a clip that is used to hold the bag on the bar so that the bag itself is straight in between the handles instead of kinda hanging off to the left side. Does exmark make some kind of clip like this? If so, could I get the part # ? Also, what is the part # for the blade that comes on the metro 21"ers? If I understand correctly, there is only one type of blade that exmark makes for these mowers. Thanks!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jason r.

Congratulations. The Metro 21 has been a good machine for us and should be a good machine for your.

Have your dealer look up service bulletin # 01-05. The service bulletin details the issue you’re having and also lists the part number for the kit you need.

The only blade we offer is p/n 42-1000-03 and is a pretty good all around blade. I ran a Metro 21 on my lawn for a couple of years and found that it bagged unbelievably well and mulched pretty well and shorter cutting heights.

Thanks

Terry

3. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What engine did you get?

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason r.
    That Metro 21" is really a Toro Proline 21" w/ the Exmark name on it. There are a couple of other blade options that are available thru Toro. If you do a lot of bagging, I suggest trying the 21" blade Toro part # 62-7700 for a Toro Vacu-Power mower. This blade has a super high lift, cuts excellent, and really packs the bag. If you are mulching fall leaves there is a Gator blade Oregon part # 94-900 available, it does a great job mulching leaves.

5. dave80

dave80 LawnSite Member

Regarding the 21, I was just curious as to why the height settings are at 3-1/4", 2-3/4", etc. as opposed to 3", 2-1/2". Not that I really think it is necessarily a bad thing, just curious that's all.

6. eXmark

Dave,

That's a mystery that nobody really knows. There was a guy once that did know but he disappeared just before he was going to tell us.

Just kidding.

Here's the design theory. You can't really get 1/4" adjustments out of the wheel system without getting really complicated or making the adjusters/adjustment cogs much thinner and weaker and that is why you have the 1/2" adjustments.

The height starts at .75" because at the time the mower was developed "scalping" was extremely popular in the south. The practice of "scalping" is still somewhat popular today but not as much as it was years ago. If you’re not from the south yes, "scalping" is just what it sounds like.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Terry

7. jason r.

DieselDeere
    It has the 6hp Kawasaki.

EJK
    Thanks for the p/n's. I'll check with my local Toro dealer and my MowMore catalog for those blades.

Terry
    Thanks. We have a new Exmark dealer. Do you think he would have that service bulletin with the part number? He just started carrying Exmark about 3 weeks ago.

8. eXmark

Jasonr.

The part number you need is 104-8586. If your dealer has any questions have him give me a call at 402-223-6358.

Thanks

Terry

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I WANT TO SELL EXMARK'S DAMIT!!!!

10. jason r.

Another ?

Will the kickers (out of a Toro) fit on the Metro 21". If anyone knows a part #, it would be greatly appreciated.

The Metro bags good and leaves a decent quality of cut when doing so but, when mulching it has a horrible quality of cut. Thought maybe those kickers would help.

metro 21 001.jpg