1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Proud new owner of a Mulch Mule

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by DixieFerris, Mar 2, 2010.

1. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Finally! Was able to finance this machine with our bank and will be picking it up asap. Last year we installed about 1000 yards but with this machine we are hoping to top the 2500 mark thru lots of advertising and door to door sales. This machine is just so amazing and will eliminate extra staff, eliminate the fork/shoveling of mulch (which is the real back breaker) and will be used to install stone, transport plants and trees and flowers, suck up grass and turf edging and some shrub clippings, and in the fall assist in major leaf cleanup projects. Look out mulch customers here we come! I will post pics of us using it this spring and also post actual data of old vs. new margins and install $$$
  2. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, thanks for posting, sounds like a great new investment, try to get some pictures up soon! :)

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Why not a mulch blower?
  4. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

What does something like that run?
  5. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

The mulch blower only does 1 thing - blow (haha). This machine allows us to do stone, mulch, topsoil, pick up leaves, suck up clippings and shrub edgings and the trailer can be loaded with plants, trees, flowers and unloads via a reverse walking floor out the back. Blowers don't always eliminate shoveling and that's the worst part
  6. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

7. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Our blower eliminates 100% of shoveling.

Keep us posted on how it works, I see how it eliminates unloading, but you still have to manually hump it to where its going, and manually install the mulch. Compared to a bark blower, I dont think the labor savings would be even close.

Good luck, its a nice machine! Why didnt you go with the Finn model?
  8. Shasta Lake Landscaping

Shasta Lake Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you charge per Cu. Yd. of mulch installed? Say 5 yards for example, delivered and installed, no bed preparation needed, just come slap it down and go.
    Just wondering what you would btw;
    because that thing looks expensive, we install about 5,000 Cu. Yd. a year and I still couldnt justify it.
  9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm with you shasta... we do about 5-8k a year and I'd love to have one of these but man they're $ and then you need a truck to pull it!
  10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

no dissrespect i just cant see the value of this machine.. the only step you seem to be eliminating is the shoveling into wheel barrows...