Proven ways to get customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Icemanku, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

I'd like to talk about the best ways most of you get your customers each year?

I'd like to hear from old and new people into the business.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well the Justmow it look alike guys came into Austin and got a bunch of jobs because they had a low price. And they had a picture of their truck with 21" mowers and a photo of the cutter.
  3. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

Ummmm? That doesn't really help me at all.

Anyone else?
  4. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

I have had a LOT of luck sticking flyers in doors next to the properties I already have and say something like.... "we are here every Tuesday servicing Mr Smiths lawn, if you would like your lawn to look as nice as his we can offer you the same great service for $40 per week with a monthly bill cycle or seasonal agreement...Please call...blah blah blah" You get the idea....If they like that neighbor and your doing a good job, chances are good they'll give yopu a shot..... Works well for me in adding a lot of customers in the same neighborhood quickly....Hope this helps.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Proven ways ... Do a good job for existing customers, show up when expected, be prompt with billing and deposits, ... In other words, just do the tasks needed to be a viable business and do them well. Since there are so many flaky people in this industry, you will stand out if following the above recommendation. As a stand-out, business will likely come your way.

Remember, you are ALWAYS selling. That includes casual conversations with friends, with those you encounter in stores, neighbors living next to existing customers, those walking by on the street while loading/unloading, anybody. Your best calling card is for other potential customers to see the kind of work, and how you work, at existing customers.

Get a business card into the hands of anybody you encounter. I'm amazed at calls I receive sometimes, from a card dropped here, or there, and often, a year or two earlier.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

At first it's like they say, you just show up and do a good job and they're happy.

Later it gets more complicated, but I don't think the more advanced techniques will help at the earlier stages, other than it will waste so much of your time it's not worth it. See you get a ways down the road, several years into it the boredom is so bad, we get creative and to a point its absurd but guys like myself strive to be the absolute best in town bar none... The reality, well, you know, but seriously, it really does boil down to you just show up and do a good job.

Thou I can recommend sharpen your blades daily, grease the zerks, check the oil and keep the pre-cleaner in good condition.
    That's not too far out there, I don't think, a little eccentric maybe but it helps, I did that pretty much since day 1.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

word of mouth
  8. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

Let's say for some reason you guys lost all of your customers and have to start from scratch.

What would you do starting tomorrow morning to try and get customers?
  9. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

So many possibilities...a lot depends on what you have to spend. If we are looking at low cost options, things often mentioned work well - flyers, door hangers, passing out business cards, etc.....

I know if I had to go back and do it all over again one thing I would consider telemarketing from the start. A lot of people are afraid to face that constant rejection, and some people are turned off by the idea of telemarketing in general....but if you compare cost to return, it is hard to beat.
  10. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

classified ads (cheap in my paper) worked great for me om the beginning. Flyers are ok , but must be done in big numbers. Direct mail has never worked for me. Yellow pages work , but remember you will be paying monthly even in months that the phone will not ring.