1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Provide Sanding Service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lost mountain, Dec 14, 2001.

1. lost mountain

lost mountain LawnSite Member

I have gotten a lot of requests for sanding on Bermuda and Zoysia grass from my customers and some who are not my customers. Some of the companies around here who specialize in it charge a lot for it.
    I can get a new Turfco machine for around 5k...I've seen a used one for 4K. The reel mower would probably be prudent rather than relying on a rotary in scalping for this purpose. It seems the equipment would be paid for in less than one season with advertising. Another thing to consider is that our lawns would look supreme and bring us more maintenance customers in general. Any opinions on making this leap into a specialized offering?

the only past thread on this forum I pulled up was here:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1365&highlight=Sanding+Top+Dressing

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i think you answered your own question. if the machine pays itself off, you have enough work, and you want to provide more service, it sounds like a win win situation.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

One question, what does sand and clay make?

Some sand and organic matter would be better idea.

4. lost mountain

How's this Hoss:

"...a washed Sand/Earth Food Compost mix and topsoil."

Sanding is just the generic term ;)

Do any of you offer this service? What are some pitfalls?

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent, now I'm with you!:)

6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer who tried everything to grow grass in his front yard. He spent $$$ on loads of top soil only to have it wash off the hard clay the builder scraped down to. I recomended aeration and sand and now his front yard looks great. I simply used a 125lb spreader to topdress the sand. I told him that this is something he should do every year and to add some peat moss to bring in organic matter. SOLD!!!!$$$$$$$

7. lost mountain

jeffex ,

What type of spreader? How much sand mix did you apply? (this is the thing that makes it a little tough: is the cost of a top dresser)

Dave,

Sandman and Sandsquad are here in town and they are the one's I was referring to above. I see a picture of a Cushman topdresser on the Sandman site where as Sandsquad apparently uses the Turfco which has WB and one with a hitch:

http://www.turfco.com

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I did about 1/4 acre with an Agri Fab spreader. I bought the sand in 50lb bags . Next year I will make a second pass with peat moss. You must be doing large areas to spend $4000 on a top dresser.

9. lost mountain

And is why I'm leary about the leap. Which model AgriFab?