Providing lawn service at a longer distance than normal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jay9437, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Jay9437

Jay9437 LawnSite Member

I have a good commercial customer that recently wanted to know if i would be interested in maintaining the property at his hunting lodge which is located about 65 miles from where i am. I have not looked at the property yet but it sounds like it would be a pretty good contract. My question is has anyone had this type of situation where you had a considerable distance to drive to--- and what would be the average charge per mile excluding the amount of the maintenance contract? :help:
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

It would have to be really good money, and I mean really good. If its 65 miles away, that an hour travel time each way minimum. If the job takes you an hour to complete, then your probably looking at 4 hours of your time, realistically. Plus other expenses like gas, and wear and tear on your vehicle. It would have to be at least $250 for me to even consider it. I think after a few weeks, I'd be tired of the drive.
  3. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this type of situation too. I have a Customer, that has property about an hour away. I take a smaller trailer , and do this account, and I charge roughly a buck a mile. It's mostly highway. To help offset this, I did some advertising around his area, and now have it built up to be a day run, so the mileage is spread around. It adds about 120 dollars, plus the ferry, 18.oo per way. It's kinda heavy to add this to just one account, why I did a little advertising, and got this to be a great run.
  4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it every week or more like once a once. If it was just a once a month thing that can be done whenever may not be too bad.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Is there any benifits? Such as Hunting Priviledges? That there can sometimes be worth its weight in gold. That and if you can make somewhat a living on it. What the heck...... I drive 90 miles in the spring and fall to do aerations. I don't charge milage but I do very well there. I can usually bring in 800 in a 5 hr work day not including the drive. but hey I get to see my folks at the same time.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I maintained one about 35 miles away before and even though we charged a lot for it, in the long run it just wasn't worth it