Proving to commercials accounts they need a change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DixieFerris, Feb 8, 2006.

1. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Last year we targeted a few large commercial accounts as places we would really like to get our hands on for the future. A big company from our area has had them now for a few years and quite frankly done them average at best. In June we took digital photos of their work on the grounds and lack of work in the flower beds with weeding. Took some more in July, noting length between cuttings (10 days, should have been 6-7) and burnt grass tips for dull blades. Finally in November we took a couple shots of the beds not being cleaned out and the lawn being left WAY too long. We submitted these photos along with our proposal on how we would change these horrible procedures for our bidding price, which believe it or not was actually $2,000 less for the 7 buildings (owned by a health care provider). Just spoke with the contact there and she couldn't believe how much thought and care we put into this bid and said she feels we will win based on this effort. Anyone else using these tactics to win business with success? I hope we land this one!payup
  2. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I personally would never "attack" another companies work as it sounds you have.
    Commercial accounts in general are funny in the way that they work, & if you are $ 2000. cheaper you better know why (what are their insurance requiring, etc.) Furthermore just because they are your "contact", doesn't mean they make the decisions. For all you know the big co.'s manager could be someone high ups brother, etc? Believe me it happens.
    If they find out you were attacking their work or being that aggresive the can & will put you out of business by lowballing all your properties, it happens all the time. How do you think they got to be that big co.'s. Big co's ussually have big money to back them up.
  3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Also could be they're late payers or a real pain in the as$.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I agree about "attacking" another company's reputation but I'm sick and tired of some of these bigger companies that claim to be "the best " in any given area and the reality is they do an average to below average job and getting big bucks to do so. In their defense, It has to be very difficult to manage and micro manage crews that are probably only making $7.00-$9.00 per hr. (around here) Thats why I think only running a crew or two is the way to go.
  5. Crabtree

Crabtree LawnSite Member

why would you offer them better service cheaper?
    They may go with you for the price, and then not even appreciate your work.
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Shame on YOU!!!!! Not only was that worse than lowballing but you left $2000 on the table. For you to make that $2000 back you will have to work that property for eight yrs with the normal cost of living increases to be at the same level of income as today. We hope the favor is returned 10 fold.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Like Crabbtree said and Cutting Edge, If you can back it up (better service) then why do it cheaper?:confused: And if you knew what they were paying why would you leave that much on the table? I could see a couple hundred bucks to seal the deal but 2k? thats too much, imo.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Bad move! 2k is one thing and so going around with camera but to submit something like that to another company to secure the job - thats not cool.

2nd - what if that happens to you? Like some of the others said - you could catch ya and if it does - its going to hurt.
  9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I feel that trying to nudge your way into a situation by using tactics like that will get you on the bad side of quite a few people really quick once word gets out on how you do business. When there is a place I might want to service that is currently being serviced by another company, I just send them letters from time to time just to keep me in their minds. If they should ever want me to come and talk to them that would be great. But I am far from pushy and far from a bridge burner with other LCO's.
  10. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

Those cheaper prices are great you work your butt off all summer long and then your wondering where all the money has gone . :nono: :nono: