Prowings on a jimmy k-5

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by senor plow, Feb 27, 2001.

1. senor plow

senor plow LawnSite Member

I currenty have a fisher 7 foot plow on my 84 full size jimmy. I was curious about putting on prowings. I really want just the left side one so I can continue to plow roads for my town and make a little more money. Most towns want at least a 8 foot plow. Luckily my town doesn't mind that I only run a 7, but their pay is crap. I also think that having pro wings would help me get decent money by subbing out for lot plowers and such. Will the extra weight be bad for my truck. Does anyone else just use the left side wing for throwing snow to the left on roads and long drags?

2. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Senor
    I don't run the wings but it would seem to me that if you un-balance your plow with the weight of the wing only on onw side that this would put undue stress on your A-frame pivot point and your A-frame as a whole.

No engineer just my 2cents

Bruce

3. wyldman

wyldman LawnSite Member

We have several full size jimmy's and blazers,with 8-9 ft plows and no problems with the weight.The wings are an option,or any competent welding shop could just extend your plow to 8 or 8 12 feet.Another option is to find a larger used moldboard to fit your harness.

4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a k-5 and use Pro Wings on a 7.5 blade and will have a second 8' blade set up with them by next week. If the snow is real deep or heavy I'll take them off to spare the truck of the wear & tear. There have been many times that I have used just one of the wings for different situations without a problem. I never thought about the unbalanced situation that plow jockey mentions, but considering it now, I don't think it is an issue. Its only 10" and once the plow is on the ground & angled for windrowing, I really doubt there is any added stress that the A-frame & pivot points can't handle IMO.

5. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

As I said I had no experience with the pro wings I just asked that for input. I'm still trying to learn about the dynamics of the balance of the blade. My concern had less to do with the plowing as it had with the transporting of the blade when it is not supported by the cutting edge.

Bruce

6. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Bruce - see you're back too. I'm no engineer either, (just a humble welder!:D ) but I don't believe there will be any problem with weight unbalanced from running only 1 wing, either with the blade up or down. (Does anybody know what the weight of one of the wings is?)

7. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

Angelos supplies says the whole set up (both wings and the mounting hardware) weighs 60 pounds so I would think one wing adds about 30 pounds

8. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks 66, with 30 pounds out on the end I'm going to go out on a limb and say I definitely see no problem with any weight imbalance (just a welder's opinion tho!)

9. senor plow

senor plow LawnSite Member

For the most part, I would not even put the first wing on until I was about to plow. I plow for my town and the dpw is 2 miles from my house. My route is 1 mile from my house. the whole time I would be running only 1 wing, is when I am actually physically plowing, not transporting. I have never seen the wings up close, but I would assume they go on an off in under a minute with the simple pull pin design

10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll join 75 on the limb and second his assessment, as a plower who has put 100's of hours on 2 sets on 2 different plows.