pruning aspen trees

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by packey, Feb 18, 2008.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I will try again it does not seem that my first post made it on here. I was trying to see if anyone had any specific tips to pruning aspen trees

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

How big are they? and what are you trying to accomplish?

3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at doing a general clean up on all the trees on the property. . I know that aspens are quick growing so to keep a nice shape you need to prune them. What I was considering doing was trimming out all dead, diseased, and damaged areas. as well as pruning rubing branches crosses and paralleles . Once this is done I was going to come back and take4-6 inches of the canopy heighth out. This waywe could take care of the over growth. The aspens all have a 4-6 inch base and are about 25-30 feet in higth. I know my big concern is to not butcher these trees, but to get them back into shape. I know the general rule is no more than 1/3 off canopy heigth however I believe that is to drastic. I am looking at 1/5 off the canopy heigth. I guess my other big concern was I know many of the aspens up here have had serious problems with cankers these do not but I want to keep them that way. I also Have another question I have read that you should dissenfect your cutting equipment if you are working on an aspen with canker problems how would you do this. Would you use rubbing alcohol or soomething else. also do you need to disenfect after each major cut so as to not spread the disease further around the tree or since the tree is already diseased does it matter.