1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pruning Catalpa Trees

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MowerMoney, Apr 25, 2005.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone here know when and how to prune Catalpa trees? My customer has what I believe to be a Northern Catalpa that is getting too big for his garden. Should it be pruned in the spring or in the fall? Are these the kinds of trees that can be pruned right back to the trunk? Maybe leaving just a few short stubs off the trunk?
    Thanks for the help if anyone can advise.
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Those are fish bait producing factories, be careful.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You never want to remove that much of a tree at once ever.just head it back to a managable size evenly around the tree,remove any dead branches or ones that rubb on each other and ones that compromise the look or health of the tree.Look at treesaregood.com
  5. gil

gil LawnSite Member

be careful with catalpa trees, they are very weak.

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

I cut mine back to the trunk every spring or fall however I have done this since they were tiny. Depending on how large the canopy is it may not be the best approach...
  7. MowerMoney

Huh? :dizzy:
  8. MowerMoney

Site wouldn't open to anything.
  9. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, Catalpas are one of the few types of trees that "Pollarding", was intended for....all the secondary branching is removed, and the primarys are left to produce sucker growth.....when you see this done to other Maples, Oaks or Beech trees [ all "Hardwood Trees"] , thats when its time to call the "Tree Police", as a Great Injustice has been purpetrated. :) :waving: :cool2:
  10. TC120

TC120 LawnSite Member

Pollarding is still a bad practice, whatever country you do it in. If and I state if a tree's canopy has to be reduced, natural crown reduction is the professional practice, by pruning to a lateral branch. Also, no more than 1/3 of a trees canopy should ever be removed at any one time. Not to be a smartallic but suckers grow on roots and the base of trees. Water sprouts/shoots are the result of crown pruning. The shoots are the direct result of the tree fighting off starvation from too much foliage being cut.