pruning crabapple

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mmacsek, Feb 10, 2004.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Can I prune a crabapple in February and not hurt the bloom/fruit? I usually prune "regular apple trees" around March and it doesn't hurt them. I didn't know if there is a difference. If I can't prune now when? Thanks Matt

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Prune away, Matt. I've always done crabs the same time as regular apple trees with no adverse affects.

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Many years ago when I worked at Greentree Nursery (west side of Allentown), we pruned trees, including crabs, throughout the winter, weather permitting. You should have no problem pruning now.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I always Pollered The trees in winter between plowings.
    John

5. mmacsek

Thanks guys. I wanted to make sure. This is a real good customer. Have a good one. Matt

6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Many woody shrubs or ornamental trees produce flower buds in fall that bloom the following spring. Pruning in late fall or very early spring may remove these flower buds. For full floral effect, prune flowering plants in the landscape just after bloom.

7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

"Pruning in late fall or very early spring may remove these flower buds. For full floral effect, prune flowering plants in the landscape just after bloom"

Crab's are for color so its a big no no cutting off those buds!

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If its your only time to prune it, it just wont have flowers for one season, no big deal, but its best if you can to wait til after it blooms.

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It just won't have flowers on the branches you took away. The rest of the tree will bloom fine.

Many trees "bleed" when pruned in the spring. Malus are fine in the winter.

There is also some practicality to deal with. It is safe to prune them now. You will be very busy in June. You ain't doing much now between snow storms. Go for it.

10. mmacsek

I pruned the crabapples this past week. I was weighing all options and decided to go for it. The trees were not done for a while and had no shape or form. Numerous branches were rubbing and lots of suckergrowthes. Thanks for the replies. Matt