1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pruning Oleanders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4-Leaf, Aug 22, 2002.

1. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

So these people have about 8 oleader bushes (trees) about 12-14 feet tall. They want me to cut them back so they would be only about 6 feet tall. I think it's fine but I'm worried about killing them. Does anyone see a problem with trimming them back that much? I'm going to wait on some answers before I hop in there with a chainsaw. -- Thanks for any replies.
  2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I dont think you would hurt them at all, Ive seen them cut back pretty far and they come right back. Do they use them as a wall? If not, you may ask if thy would like pruned up like a multi trunck tree, they look good like that, and is probally better for the bush, than getting cut in half.
  3. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Chainsaw away,they can be cut back real hard.Just remember though Oleanders are one of the most posionous plants in the garden.Be careful of the sap.
  4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Just cut back two in a maque area I maintain almost too nothing.. The Owner was kinda shocked and thought that they would never come back. Expained that you can not hardly kill the dang things. Wish they would croak as they look silly next to 3 palms and a bunch of other tropical stuff. The dang things are coming back stronger than ever.
  5. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

HEY JIM !!!
    Thanks for the heads up on the "poison."
    I didn't know that Oleanders were poison. I can just see it ... my friend and I buzzing those things down with no shirts on etc ... holy smoke ... we would have been some hurting puppies if it had not been for your warning. In addition to that, I would have surely brought the branches home for burning (which is what we do to a lot of the yard debris to save $$ on dumping fees.)
    After your warning, I did some checking on the web and found that the fumes were also toxic.

Thanks again for your post.
    You REALLY saved me some discomfort
    4-Leaf Lawn Care.
  6. Those are weeds down near Florida.

Treat them like a Hybiscus.
  7. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

No worries 4-Leaf,hate to lose you:D .Old story here,guy pruning oleanders has cup of coffee,uses piece of oleander branch to stir in sugar,dead as a dodo.Need to cover up when chainsawing plants, often you can get a skin reaction from the plant sap,I've seen a guy sawing agaves come out in a terrible rash after he finished.Take care.....
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

"...dead as a Dodo.'

A fellow cannot get any more dead than that! :eek:

Good one! :laugh:
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Can I prune them now or do I need to wait until the spring?
  10. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Should be able to prune them now. Don't worry, they always come back.