1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pruning pine trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by harpoonalt, Jul 22, 2003.

1. harpoonalt

harpoonalt LawnSite Member

I have a customer with 4 roadside pine trees that are about 50 feet tall. Many of the branches touch the ground and mowing around them is a real pain. I was thinking of pruning all the branches off to about 5 feet off the ground and then putting bark mulch underneath. Any tricks or tips on the pruning? And with the mulching, should I get rid of the existing needles before mulching? And finally, what would be a good planting that would survive underneath the trees? Thanks!
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

One word of caution before you start heading up evergreens. Many times the lower limbs provide support for those above. When you start removing the lower limbs, the higher ones start dropping down. You'll find that you're actually removing limbs much higher than 5 feet to get the 5 foot clearance you hope for. An alternative may be to edge just outside the branches on the ground, then mulch that area and back under the outer branches.
  3. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I did a job earlier this month for a guy who wanted about 200' feet of pine trees that were probably 30' tall trimmed from the ground up to about 3', then taperd out so he could mow under them w/his rider. It worked great, and looks great. We just used pruners to take off the branches, then raked all the dead needles and hauled them to the dump (about 10 loads of them!) I think you definitely should get rid of the dead needles before putting mulch down. Another thing...wear long pants, and long sleeves, and gloves...pine neeleds are murder on your skin. Make sure you wear clothes that you might not want to wear again...the pitch will get on your clothes, and I have not heard of a way of getting it out. Good luck on the job!
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Pines? Gas and a match.
  5. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

lol...spoken like a true member of the pine belt

i hate pine trees.....allergies

hows life treatin ya elephant?
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Like a red-headed step child.:p

I just PM'd you.

On the plants under the trees, something that doesn't require a lot of water, because the trees will take most of it.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Exactly, cant stand a pine tree.
  8. harpoonalt

I agree about the trees. That's why I'm trying to do this job for her. The trees are a major pain in my butt to mow around. I was hoping to at least be able to make it bearable to mow. Most of the limbs drag the ground and catch on the mower all the time. I don't think anyone has ever done a thing to these trees so anything will be an improvement. Can you prune them anytime of the year?
  9. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

why mulch them? the needles are a natural mulch and if you do mulch, it'll just get covered up in the future with dropped needles.
  10. harpoonalt

good point about the needles. All that grow there now are weeds. I mow them as best I can. So what's the best idea?