Pruning Rates?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jake Wolf, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Jake Wolf

Jake Wolf LawnSite Member
    from NYC, NY

I'm in an affluent area and have been charging $50/hr for pruning work and no one blinks an eye. I do top quality work and am wondering how high I should go. I have gas hedge trimmers, work on small trees, shrubs and deadhead flowers by hand.

What's the most you've heard someone charging for pruning work?

2. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

You have to try to get what your market will allow. $50/hr is good, but I always try to get at least $60/hr. If no one is say no then try to raise you per hour a little.

Would you rather work 12 hours at $50/hr or 10 hours at $60/hr? I know it doesn't seem like much, but 2 hours per job per year....you could be missing out on a lot of money.

3. Jake Wolf

Jake Wolf LawnSite Member
    from NYC, NY

I'm thinking out going up to $75 and trying to sell a half day of work for 300 and a whole day for 550.

4. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

Even better.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think it depends on how long you are there and how frequently things need trimmed.

I know for me here, most shrubs and ground cover need trimmed at least monthly from April-Oct. I charge 40 and only land a small % of the work just because of the volume of work to be done.

I think you could get a higher rate to show up, say 75 for the first hour and 50 per hour after. Possibly more, something like that though is how I wold do it. For you it is almost like a service call. I think it all depends on the size and frequency of the property.