Pruning rose bushes

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by agm, Jun 21, 2007.

1. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I know the proper way to prune rose bushes but, has anybody ever used hedge trimmers to do it and shape them? I always use pruning shears but obviously this takes time! Just trying to look for a quicker way.

2. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

i use trimmers on out of control roses to shape them and then clean em up with hand pruners (ie cut back the stubs, etc.)

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely not! Hedge trimmers will tear them up and leave ragged cuts. You need to leave a clean cut.
    Not only that but if you knew how to properly prune them then you would know that you should cut to a bud that is growing in the direction you want that stem to go. Using a hedge trimmer would make that impossible.
    Even on an out of control rose, I would use selective cuts with a pair of loppers or a stick pruner to get it into a manageable size to prune. Never hedge trimmers.
    Some tasks just take time, once you get really good at it, then you can do it fairly quickly. If you are using a good quality hand pruner (I call them nips) that are kept sharp and clean.

4. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

yes you can, as long as you clean up the cuts in the end. why does this not make sense to you? its the same thing in the end only quicker. its gets all the heavy stuff out of the way and allows you to work on the shrub. i am a horticulturist and have a degree in botany and i'm telling you, as long as you clean up the shrubs with hand snips, its the same thing. just dont leave ragged stubs.

5. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

6. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I THINK I WILL BELIEVE YOU AND NOT SHESHOVEL SINCE YOUR THE HORTICULTURIST!! Anyways, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Hopefully this makes things pretty quick.

7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Um, I suppose you could do it like johnnywill says but you'd then have to clean up all the debris and then painstakingly go back over each rose and re-cut the trimmer cut. Makes more sense to me to hand prune the correct way, toss the cuttings into a pile/basket/yardbag/whatever.... Kill two birds with one stone.

I've honestly worked with very large landscape companies on a variety of projects and NEVER have I seen a pair of gas powered trimmers on a rose. It's just not done.

8. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

I agree...and I'm a horticulturist too. Just hand prune them and be done with it. To heck with going back and re-pruning every branch.

9. sheshovel

Fine for you, but he was wanting a faster way. Not a way that makes him do the work twice. Like I said, I am sure that works, but like why do it???????

10. sheshovel

Maybe I am a horticulturist with no need to announce it when I am talking about pruning roses with hedge trimmers.