1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pruning WOW!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

Ok, So I am bidding on this HOA grounds right. Ok, so they want me to include a price or "minor pruning? should the grounds need it. Ok, so what this tells me, is that there are no specific trees that need pruned, but if they do, I need a price.....

I usually wouldn;t do this, but I think it sounds like I have to stick an hourly rate in there on hte proposal for pruning.

What do you guys think,,,I need the job bad..

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

It doesn't require you to give an hourly rate per say....what do you think you are worth??? Answer this first!
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont be afraid to ask them exactly what they want.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, so I think you should have an hourly rate already figured out in your head. You are running a business, but you don't know what to charge?

You say you need the job bad? Then do it at $10 an hour, that should get you the bid.
  5. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

ha, thanks Randy... No, see thats just it,, I asked the HOA bid taker exactly what would need to be pruned? He said that it would be upon request, but tree branches entering into driveway and walkways should be pruned back. I guess throughout the season I am suppose to keep an eye out, and bill accordingly.. But he acted as if he wanted a price? What would you do? Oh, and the ten dollar an hour thing....hmmm,,, I dunno,, I want it pretty bad....

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

My smartazz point was that you need to figure out what it takes you to run your business at a profit. How much do you need per hour to turn a profit? Only you can answer this. Then, you tell the customer it's "X" amount of dollars per hour.

A word of advice, for whatever it's worth. Don't drop your price just to get the job. People need to quit being scared into low bidding on their jobs. All it does is bring the industry down and makes you go broke. I'll tell you right now, you don't need the work any more than me or the next guy. So that's a poor excuse. Just give them your hourly amount and that's that. If they don't like it, go with some other schmuck.
  7. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

The problem could be that you "need the job bad" Hoa's while they may sound like and look like they wan't to pay premium....no at least fair dollar....want only the cheapest price.

I have one that is a perfect example but this isn't my thread and I won't bore you with the details. Suffice to say the ONLY qualified contractor will get screwed but the lowball loser will get the bid.