Prunning Crape Myrtles

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DBLC, Jan 5, 2004.

1. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

When is best time to prune Crapes? Jan or Feb? ZONE 7 THANKS!!

2. greensideup

greensideup LawnSite Member

I am on the northern gulf coast, & we do most of ours in Jan. The extension service lists Jan/Feb as the time to do it here. Not sure what zone I'm in. SCOTT

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

We will start pruning next week along with any liriope.

4. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Now is the best time.

5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Your best indicator on the crepe myrtle trees are complete foliage drop. Once this occurs, trim to desired shape.
    Caution - these specimen trees can easily be damaged from incorrect trimming. I would advise that you buy/check out of a library, a book on trimming these trees.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

7. BGL-florida

BGL-florida LawnSite Member

Now is a good time to prune crepe myrtles in general. You're essentially making sure they're dormant and that they won't begin to sprout tender shoots when it's still freezing. If you know that won't happen because of your local climate, then go ahead and prune them.

Follow the suggestions from earlier posts to prune properly. Most landscapers wack off the tops. Over years, this weakens the trees and when it rains the lanky branches bend over and can break. Most varieties look best when the tops are left to fill out. They tend to have more blooms although the blooms tend to be smaller than when crepe myrtles are wacked off.

8. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

In Arkansas you would be fine to prune now. Today, near Houston, we will get near 70 as the high. I usually wait until Feb 1 to do my tree and crepe trimming.

9. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Valentine's Day is my general time. Same with the roses.

10. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

We started this week and usually finish up by mid Feb.