1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Prunning techniquies

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Drew Gemma, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I was pruning and cleaning beds all say in the rain what fun. These rodadendrins were so old and had been hacked by the owners for years now I am supposed to make them pretty again I told her it might take 2 years for some of these plants to return to normal. So what tips tricks or lessons do you guys have when it comes to prunning. Always looking to better my technique.

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Rhododendron

3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

What are your reasons for pruning?? This is not a smarta** questions there are two types of pruning thinning and shaping. Thinning is done to thin out the plant material and shaping is more for appearance. However if the shrub is way out of shape you are going to have to do both...

4. jimmyq

jimmyq LawnSite Member

perhaps reading through a few books would be a good start?

P1010001.JPG

5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Hey I have that same woody plant book.. Heavy sob aint it..

6. jimmyq

jimmyq LawnSite Member

yup. I think its one of the better resources though. haha dont carry it in the briefcase if I can help it. I just though the picture would save me having to type out the names and authors for the books. my shelf has lots more but those are the pruning specific ones. The other thing to do is too look at the plant, see how it was pruned in the past (old wounds etc) and see the response, then you can tell what will/may happen when you prune it in a certani way.

7. Mowmoney00

Mowmoney00 LawnSite Member

Hey I just bought that Woody Landsape book ... so far this is one awesome book. This just adds to my huge collection

8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

9. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

10. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

Since Rhododendrons are a spring bloomer, you better tell your customer that they will loose the blooms for next spring since you pruned them this fall.