1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PSI of a system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LawnMastersTx, Jan 26, 2008.

1. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

There is a group of houses out in my area, around 400 to 700 of them. The city water that is being used is giving Static pressure between 40 PSI and 80 PSI during the day.

I remember in class that a 10 PSI difference in a system could cost my customers on their water bills and cause misting. Also too much of a drop and a system wont even have the pressure to pop up the heads.

I am asking if you guys know a way of keeping the systems PSI constant? I know of ways to lower a systems PSI with regulators, but i worry if i use them then I may get more pressure loss in the system and when the PSI hits the lower number then it wont work.

Btw the pressures were checked 3 times a day. Do not have the dynamtic pressure of the systems, yet. City uses pumps and then wells to store all the water for the city.
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

irrigation only booster pump w/ pressure regulator.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

A number of purveyors do not permit boosters, you have to design for the
    lowest psi & adjust flow controls & in-line prv's for optimum operation.
    Hank bought a cool logging tool to tell him when the psi was greatest &
    designed for it..does not take into consideration neighbor's systems firing
    at the same time & growth in the community, tho. Do your homework, we've
    all had one or two embarrassments in this scenario. One would hope the
    purveyor would set a odd/even type of schedule to avoid failures that could
    happen very easily.
  4. Mike Leary

I have installed a number of these little jewels...answer to our dreams, They only work in
    a submersible situation, not as a booster, unfortunately.:cry:
  5. Stay tuned...they are coming out with a new setup....
  6. Mike Leary

Let us know, London, it could surpass the MP Rotator & white bread if it
    does what I think you're saying it mite do.:clapping:
  7. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

I have installed a number of these little jewels

How much do they cost?
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

With a 40-80 spread, I think you could just use standard equipment and live with some extra misting. Toro spray nozzles have their built-in compensaters available. I forget, did anyone come up with something similar for rotor heads? (T-Bird excepted)
  9. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

Thank you for the input. I havent installed any out here and wont for a while (year or two) Just doing repair work on the systems and listening to the concerns of the community.
    Who ever installed some of these systems out here I want to hunt down. No information is left on what they installed, how many zones, what pressure, just nothing. Is this a normal thing to come across? Shouldnt installers leave a blueprint of what they did, the designed PSI, just something more than the system set up to 15 minute watering every zone for each day of the week.