pssssst................................... here comes the new guy.......

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cupzandamug, Mar 28, 2007.

1. cupzandamug

cupzandamug LawnSite Member

quick question..............

im just starting out and i have 0 clients,yup 0. i was thinking that i should pass out about 3-4 hundred or so flyers and maybe spring 4 a ad in 1 of the smaller weekly papers.i wanted to know if this worked 4 anybody when thet started and when business does pick up, how many clients should i have. im the sole proprietor, so i kind of wanted to stay away from the huge yards, thx

2. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Ad in local paper maybe.

3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

Make that number in the thousands then it will be more worth while. Really search fliers, you will find people that do 30-40k of them. I do 1- 3k fliers a year. A couple hundred you can pass out in less than a day. Yes ads in the small Adnet papers, penny saver, whatever small paper you have seem to work good. Never rely on only one type of advertising. I'm in the book, small papers, and I flier. You can also do direct mail, I don't see great results with it though.

4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Where in MARLAND are you ! TNT

5. chrisludwig

chrisludwig LawnSite Member

Direct mail results are usually 1-3% of mailing. So out of 100 sent out you may get 3 customers. If you personalized the postcard or mailing with the peoples names in the picture or on the house picture, etc the numbers go up to 10-12% results. So you would possibly get 10-12 new customers per 100 mailed. (This is my full time job - I do lawns part time as I grow my empire)
    Postcards are better than mailing letters in envelopes. Postcards are cheaper to mail, dont have to be opened and you can put a nice color picture on there to draw their attention and have them think "I wish my lawn looked like that."

Suggestion if you do the newspaper ad. Look how everyone else is doing it and DO NOT DO IT LIKE THEY DO!!! example "JimBobs mowing, free estimates, insurance, call 999-888-1234" That will get you no where. Like throwing money out the window.

Figure out what your ideal customers really want and target that. Market to the higher end properties. What seperates you from the rest? Put that in your ad. But don't lowball the price. You cant make that up in volume. Price it fair or a little higher. The wealthier customers will pay for quality. If you want customers who want only lowest price, they will dump you in a minute for the next new guy who comes along two dollars cheaper.

Hope this helps a little,

6. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't expect a lot of calls from 300-400 flyers. If you figure on a 1-2% call ratio, then you will probably receive at most about 8 calls from your flyers, and probably won't land most of those jobs (that's not a comment on you, just the nature of the beast).

That being said, if you put out a REALLY nice flyer - and I'm talking full-color, professionally printed, photos, etc - then you may get a higher call volume. I always get much better than the 1-2% call ratio on my flyers because they stick out above the competition's flyers - but I still don't land all those jobs because my prices aren't anywhere near the lowest.

If you can pick up some customers from your flyers, and then you do an exceptional job for those customers, the word will spread, and you'll get more customers. If you do an average job (as in, your lawns look like every other LCO's lawns) or a below average job, then word of mouth won't be nearly as effective.

I've never tried the newspaper...there's not a good one out here to advertise in. Hope it works for you.

7. chrisludwig

chrisludwig LawnSite Member

Lawns companies are like anything else. You get what you pay for.
    No need to ever apologize for not being the cheapest.

8. cupzandamug

southern part, are you near?

9. cupzandamug

how much did you pay for the postcards and did you just mail them to people in the phone book?

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, 4000 is a good start, follow up with another 4k, like they're saying, you can put out 3-400 / day then you keep doing that, otherwise you'll be sorer than sore relying on just word of mouth.