PTO Belt ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

What's the average life span of a PTO belt? Do you replace it every so many hours or once a year? I know some of you have electric clutches so you might not know the answer to this question. I know the Walker uses them and Dixie Chopper does also I think. Thanks for your input.

Mowman

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Dixie Chopper uses a Hand Clutch on their mowers. Belts on it can last over 1,000 hours.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have 350hrs on all of the belts on my Walker and none of them show much wear. I always engage pto at low rpm's. I think these belts will go at least 600 - 700hrs.
    On my various ZTR's that have electric clutch's, I have got an average life of 800hrs on the main belt and have never replaced a deck or hydrostatic drive belt,( Highest hr. machine is now at 950hrs).
    I keep a spare set of belts at the shop for everything, but, I am beginning to think that is a waste of money. The quality of belts today is so good, that barring some abuse or accident, they should all go 1000hrs easy.:)

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I keep a set in my truck tool box since they never seem to break at the shop. ;)

Over the past 16 seasons, it has saved me a few trips to the shop and I have been able to finish up the day without losing much time.

I agree, the belts are getting much better now. The belts with the center chords are the biggest improvement for the belts that have to make back bends, like the spindle to spindle belts have to make on most mowers.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The dixie has expensive,but great quality belts,with 260 hrs on mine,the belts dont even look scratched yet.I believe mine will last 1000 hrs,easily.

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kevlar cords make todays belts last hundreds of hours!!! I've seen Exmark Lazer Z's with 800-1000 hrs on the belts and still going strong. :) ED

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

My 96 gravely walk behind has all original belts!! My estimate would be that the machine has at least 1500 hours! Magic belts! ;)

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

My Kees ZTMax has right at 1000hrs right now with original belts. That amazes me :eek:

9. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Kevlar cords placed in the middle are the best way to go. Also if a fabric is placed top and bottom that will allow for more flexability and prevent cracking due to backside idlers.

mowingmachine

10. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Do these belts take more adjusting than older belts to get them to wear in the a contant tightness. With my old belts I would adjust them only 2-3 times a year tightening them as they stretch over time but with my new kevlar belt I have already had to retighten it 3 times in 2 days.