PTO clutch does not work.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cboudet, Apr 22, 2013.

1. cboudet

cboudet LawnSite Member
    from florida

I loaned my Hustler Super Mini Z to my friend and it must have sat unattended in his yard for over a year.
    I have had to fix a massive oil leak, a fouled carburetor, water in the gas tanks, a deck belt and now that I have it running again, the deck clutch does not work.
    According to the manual it could be the deck clutch switch, a break in the wiring or the clutch itself.
    I turn the ignition switch to the on position, the deck clutch switch to on and tested the two wire connector to the clutch for voltage and there is none.
    How can I test the switch, since it has many wires going to it, not just two?
    Thanks!

2. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

Well did you learn your lesson? You don't loan your tools out!
    You may have issues with Mickey the Mouse also with the wires. They like chewing on them. There are relays and interlock issues also that might be giving you issues. With electric issues there is a road map to follow to find what is the trouble. I'll need the model and serial number and also what does it do. will it start and drive, are there other issues other than the clutch?

Brian O

3. cboudet

cboudet LawnSite Member
    from florida

Thanks Brian,
    the mower starts and runs fine.
    It's a model 927269 serial 05120773
    There seems to be no power to the clutch 2 wire connector, so it does not move the blades.
    The deck switch has 4 wires. One end has orange/orange-red stripe pair, the other end has orange/beige pair.
    I tested the switch and I think it is working.
    The orange/orange red-stripe side is normally open.
    The orange/beige side is normally closed.
    The connector at the clutch shows .1 volts with the switch on.
    I do not know what to test next.
    Thanks,