1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PTO Clutch "Retainer" - Craftsman

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by D C, Apr 19, 2010.

1. D C

D C LawnSite Member

If I knew what it was called, it would be easier to find.

This is on a friend's Craftsman GT3000 Model 917.275021
    Crank bolt fell off somehow, mower clutch/PTO was damaged

Upon closer inspection, it's also now missing the part/pin that prevents the frame of the PTO clutch from spinning. The clutch, like most, is triangular shaped and must have a pin of some sort that prevents the frame from spinning. That piece is no longer on his tractor.

Anyone know:
    1) What that pin thing is called? or a part #
    2) How to order one?

2. Shasta Lake Landscaping

Shasta Lake Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This machine doesn't use a pin, If you look at the frame closely you should be able to see where the old clutch was hitting. They will move back and forth a little once installed.
  4. D C

D C LawnSite Member

That's the reason I started this thread. We looked at the images online and there simply isn't anything visible in the part images that looks remotely like what I would expect.

So it hits a tab on the frame or something like that?

5. Diesel59

Diesel59 LawnSite Member

Does it actually have the triangular clutch on it that is shown on the diagram? Or is the cluch more round with a tab at one end? Either way.... The triangle one would normally use a bracket in the shape of a large U and the round one would normaly use a tab. But your right there is nothing on the diagram that shows it.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

7. D C

D C LawnSite Member

Thanks Rob. I'll pass the info along. Based on his description, I was expecting to see a pin of some sort.