PTO engage/engine shut down

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Green_Will, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Green_Will

Green_Will LawnSite Member

I have an '06 Scag 48" Velocity deck with the 17hp Kawa. engine. It ran fine last year, no problems. I adjusted the deck height (removed 3 bolts on each side, moved it down to lowest of 3 holes) I ran it today and when I engage the blades the engine shuts down. The engine is not struggling to engage the blades, it shuts down like a safety measure is tripping. Brake and operator paddles and gear engagement shut down the mower properly. I'm assuming moving the deck around possibly loosened the clutch wire? I checked connections-OK, but I did not clean any connections. Any advice here would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Green_Will

For the sake of full disclosure, I also changed the oil, removed sharpened and replaced the blades, greased it, and replaced a broken grease fitting on the "brake plate" on the right wheel.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Sometimes them safety switches will stick or go bad
    I have a 2012 DC and the brake switch will stick and try engage the PTO it will kill engine So I have to shake the brake handle to get un stuck
    I have new switch on the shelf to install when I get mower out

4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

x2 on the safety switches. start by figuring out which one is bad

5. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

on my wright stander there is a circuit board plug, sometimes that'll get dirty connections and shut mine down like you are saying, especially during leaf cleanup season.

6. Green_Will

Thanks for the help so far, guys. I'll keep you posted.

7. Green_Will

I have another unrelated issue with the mower... should I start a new thread to address that or just post it here?

8. Green_Will

So I unplugged, cleaned, and plugged in all the connections on the wiring harness down to the PTO clutch. I also loosened the tension on the belts to rule out the belts being too tight. I can see the spindles turn, but the engine still shuts off. Just to be sure, I deliberately engaged the safety shut off on the brake, drive gear, and the operator present paddles. They work properly. I was sure I had loosened a wire when I moved the cutter deck, but I checked all the wires. Any other ideas?

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Could be a bad PTO switch. It's usually more than just a simple on-off switch! It usually controls a couple of circuits, including the kill/grounding cir.

10. Green_Will

Thanks for your input so far. Replaced PTO switch-no change. Stumped.