pto engage rpm bladespeed question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by fulano, May 26, 2006.

1. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a 36" tthp and I installed a tiny tach to moniter hrs and rpm. At what rpm do I want to engage the pto and at what rpm do I need to cut? Is that rpm the same with and w/o a mulch kit?

Wide open still w/o pto engaged is 3450 rpms. Is that set correctly?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello fulano,
    I always like engaging and disengaging the pto at a low rpm.
    With the blades not engaged your rpm should be around 3600 and will drop to 3450 when the blades are engaged.
    The rpm should be the same with or without a mulch kit.
    Brian

3. dave333c

dave333c LawnSite Member

Hi All;
    My "34 Phazer", when I engage the drive 80% of the time jumps the belt off the idler and(the worst part) jam's it under the idler sheave.
    The disassembly of idler sheave, rethreading, retensioning takes around 15 to 20 Min. This also requires going back to the barn/service area so as not have to wallow in the field/ ants/ect.
    I have tried all throttle positions including those that stall the engine.
    What am I doing wrong????
    Dave A. dcaservice@comcast.net.
    PS: due to the belt going under the idler sheave, I now have belt shredding on the top edge after only 15 hours of use.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

What you are doing wrong is not taking it back to the dealer so that they can install the update that was released sometime around June 6th:

Phazer Belt Jumping Issue
    We have been receiving some field reports that the deck drive belt is jumping off the idler arm pulley. To eliminate the belt from jumping off we have developed an updated kit which includes a new idler pulley, idler arm, and a new deck belt. The new idler arm has a welded belt guide attached to the arm to keep the belt from wanting to jump off the idler pulley. It is also recommended to change the deck drive belt on the machine if belt jumping issues have occurred. After the kit has been installed it is important to correctly set the spring tension. To set the spring tension put the deck in the 3” cutting height position. The spring needs to measure 6 1/8” to 6 1/4”. This extension should be measured over the ends of the anchors or inside of the spring hooks. Due to the geometry of the deck movement, the tension is at its minimum in the 3” position, therefore the tension will be slightly higher at the low and high positions. CONSIDERED A WARRANTABLE CHANGE.
    P/N 109-4760 34” Phazer Idler Kit
    P/N 109-4765 44” Phazer Idler Kit