PTO engagement kills mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by IMAGE, Apr 24, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Brand new Exmark Lazer Z with 10 hours on it. 28hp Kohler, and 66" triton deck. Also running the Ultra Vac bagger.

My Exmark struggles to engage the PTO, here are a couple situations:

In the mornings I have to let it warm up for about 15 minutes, and even then to engage the PTO and keep the mower running I have to engage the PTO while pushing the throttle to wide open at the same time. Then it may stay running, but it struggles for a couple seconds.

Or later in the day, after a couple hours of mowing, I can engage the PTO while its WFO, and it will keep running. But if I engage the PTO while the mower is moving, and WFO, then it will die. So I have to be stopped to get it engaged.

Or I have found a good way to do it is to quickly engage, then disengage, then reengage the PTO, this works pretty good, but is only a 'patch' fix.

These are on 45-50 degree mornings, and 60-65 degree afternoons. Is it just to cold, or should I be looking for another problem?

2. slone

slone LawnSite Member

I Don't Have A Exmark But, My Lescos With The Protero Vac Systems Tend To Do The Same Thing When The Temps Are On The Cold Side. You Should Check Your Manuel For The Vac System To See What They Recommend. Some Systems Call For The Pto To Be Engaged At Half Throttle While Using A Vac System. My Protero System Calls For This. I Also Never Engage The Pto While Moving. Always At A Stop Position. Thought This Might Help.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

PTO's are meant to be engaged at a dead stop only.
    It's supposed to be that way...
    As far as I know anything hydraulic acts like that.

Besides one should never engage a PTO in motion, it can be very dangerous.

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i have the exact same mower as you just got and it has about 15 hours on it and clearly on the the label next to the throttle and pto it saws to engage it at half throttle

5. IMAGE

from midwest

Yes I saw that label also, and I can tell you that at half throttle it will kill the mower 100% of the time. Even if the mower is warm, and I have been mowing for awhile.

6. jhakarter

jhakarter LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Hey Steve, I have a JD mower w/ a blower(vac) and I have the exact same problems in the morning, or on any start up for the first time of the day or after sitting for a few hours. My guess is cause that it is a cold blooded motor and is just putting to much load on the mower. You would think that with a newer mower they would figure something out for better cold starting but who knows. Hope you can get it figured out if it is something other though!
    Josh

7. IMAGE

from midwest

Hey Josh, thanks for the inputs. Steve said it should get better as things "loosen up", but I wanted to get an unbiased opinion.

Are you gonna be doing cleanups friday? I am a few days behind with this rain, not sure if I dare do any dethatching tomarrow, I dont want to rut stuff up, but I dont want to fall farther behind either.:hammerhead:

8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Never never engage while moving. Do you throw you car in reverse while going 10 mile an hour?

9. jhakarter

jhakarter LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I planned on doing S.C. today but but didnt go out. Was going to later this afternoon looked like it was maybe dry enough to power rake but then it started snowing! haha. Hopefully later this weekend at least. I to am a few days behind and things are going to start growing full speed ahead before you know it as well haha.
    Josh

10. IMAGE

from midwest

Yeah I went and did 2 today, started late cause it was cold, and froze our butts off this afternoon when the when picked up.