1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pto hp

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by S&H Lawn Care Inc, May 11, 2004.

1. S&H Lawn Care Inc

S&H Lawn Care Inc LawnSite Member
    from va

What would you say the lowest pto hp should be to run a 4-5 foot hog? I am looking to buy a small tractor but the last thing I want is to have to buy another trailer. Thanks in advance.
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

A hog? or do you mean log? Either way if you are looking for a 'tow tractor' I would thank about an older one with a cast-iron trans-axle. The transmission is just and importation as the engine when it comes to power. Even if you have a 20HP it will not do much good with a poor transmission. I have seen MTD say that they machines can pull 1700 pounds but I can also tell you that I put at least a dozen new transmission in and rebuild another dozen every summer. See if you can find an old Suburban by Sears. There are not much to look at but you could drive one though a house and pull away what left.
  3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

You're talking about a brush hog, right? I run a 42" hog with 14 PTO HP, and while it's adequate, I'm sometimes lacking for power. Some guys run 48" hogs with the same model I have, but I wouldn't want to turn any more than I have. For a 4 footer I would have at least 16-17 HP at the PTO and for a 5 footer at least 22-24.
  4. fixer67

A BRUSH HOG!!! I have had a ruffer day than I thought. I should have seen that. I was wonder why you was wanting to drag a dead hog for. I am going to bed, good night.
  5. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I have a Mahindra 41 hp tractor and my pto is 33. It does fine, but I wouldn't want to go much below that.
  6. S&H Lawn Care Inc

S&H Lawn Care Inc LawnSite Member
    from va

Sorry about that, yes bush hog. I have an old 8n with a 48" bush hog but I am thinking about getting a newer compact tractor with maybe a post hole digger also. Thanks for the info now I can go talk to the different tractor stealers, I mean dealers and see what they have to offer and see if they try to sell me more hp or less than I need.
    Thanks again
  7. fixer67

I say get as much HP as your wallet will allow. There is no telling what you may want to run off it down the road. And by the way, sorry about that 'dead hog' comment I was more tired than I thought and should have been in bed instead of on the computer.
  8. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

I run a JD 1050 with 35shp, pulls a 7' Woods 2 blade trailer bushhog okay, has no trouble at all with a 5 foot hog on the 3pt hitch.
  9. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

An 8N should do just fine. by the way.. if yur dead set on buying a new tractor and wanting to get rid of the N.. PM me!
  10. gadfreak

gadfreak LawnSite Member
    from nj

I run a Bush Hog squealer 60" 3-PT with and AC D-15 Series II GAS tractor. It has no problems. Is also around 40 hp at the PTO.

If you are going to "HOG" thick brush get a good size tractor!~