Pto or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pjs2, Sep 23, 2012.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it's a 52" floating deck with a Kohler engine. I have just replaced the clutch on it for him about 3 months ago.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Kubota is the only mower I know of that has a wet clutch for the pto. Scag is not even a true pto, its an electric clutch which drives a drive shaft. You should get 800-1000+ hrs on the clutch. The bearings is what usually goes on them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Turf Tracer HP and I often wish it had an electric clutch switch on the control panel rather than a manual lever that's a bit of a reach and requires me to stop the mower and engage the thumb latches before disengaging it. There are times that I need to quickly turn off the blades when pedestrians/bicyclists/motorists seem to come out of nowhere and into the line of fire of my discharge.

4. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

One of the reasons for the elec PTO to wear out prematurely is turning the deck on and off at WOT. The lower the rpm when engaging or disengaging the less wear on the PTO.

5. Pjs2

Pjs2 LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your replies! I try to use timken whenever I'm replacing bearings they are the best. The exmark uses a belt tentioner pulley like the old school toro mowers. Another question is does the velocity plus deck really cut better then anything else and illuminate double cutting like the sales guy said? Or is he blowing smoke? I've heard from some friends that the exmark discharges better. Only thing I don't care for about the exmark is the stringers in the thick and or wet grass and scag claims not have that problem. is their really a difference or are they the same?

6. Pjs2

Pjs2 LawnSite Member

Oh sorry I was talking about walk behinds and the only one I have seen with the manual lever anymore is an exmark

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The JD 997 uses a wet clutch PTO, and so do their commercial L&G tractors like the X700 series.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I follow my manuals suggestion at WOT.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I've always believed the reason some manuals say to engage at WOT is to make things a little simpler for some people that might not know how to use just enough RPMs to not kill the motor. People that would possible think something was wrong with the mower and maybe carry it back because they couldn't engage the deck at idle.

It's definitely less abrasive on the clutch to engage or disengage the deck at the lowest possible engine speed.

I still prefer a manual PTO. Although, I've read somewhere about there being an elec PTO that they refer to as (I think) "soft engage" or something to that affect. I imagine that it engages more slowly, resulting in less wear on the clutch.

Everyone has their own opinion and reasons for having that opinion. I can understand that there is a safety benefit in the elec PTO by shutting the blades down faster in the disengage process.
    Stan