1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PTO Problem on Lazer Z

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by wanabe, Apr 3, 2004.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Has anyone had a problem with engaging the PTO on a 60" Lazer Z? It works fine when the mover is cold, but after running it for a while is when the problem begins. If I stop the PTO and try to restart it, it sometimes takes 2-3 min before it will engage again. It makes a noise like it wants to engauge, but just sits there for a couple of min. Almost seems like some kind of clutch problem? Thanks for any help.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The symptoms your describing or that of a worn clutch. You may want to replace it now before it fails completely.

3. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Wannbe thats an easy fix just buy a new clutch remove the center bolt disconnect the electrical conector and the stabilizer and the clutch should slide right off. I think I paid 225 dollars for mine. How many hours did you get out of your clutch? I had 480 hours on the first one the replacement is working fine with 670 hours so far..... Good Luck Jack
  4. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

It very likely is a worn clutch - BUT !

Is there any chance that your battery is really old and decrepit ? If it is , do you have any other piece of equipment with a good , fairly new battery that you could put in your Lazer, and see if that helps eliminate the problem ?

I have found these electric clutches to be really sensitive to LOW voltage. They just refuse to engage at all, unless they get 12 + volts to make it engage. The hotter the clutch gets, the more the resistance goes up in the windings. By running disengaged for several minutes, the clutch may be cooling off and the resistance is dropping. Also, the alternator is wound up, and is charging your weak battery . All this may be what is making it possible to get it to finally engage again.

Just for the heck of it - before you blow a couple of C's on a clutch , that still won't work till you replace the battery - test it with a better battery in place.
  5. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Thanks guys. The boss is going to take it in for a new clutch.