1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PTO problem with Ariens Zoom 2250

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ltng7679, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ltng7679

ltng7679 LawnSite Member

I was cutting a lawn yesterday and my mower blades stopped spinning
    abruptly. First I thought it was the main belt but that was OK. I
    wiggled a couple connectors and took the cover off to check the main
    PTO switch and this didn't help. The switch seems to work since I
    can't start the tractor with the switch on.

I don't have a wiring diagram. Anyone have any ideas or documentation
    that could help me troubleshoot. Time to break out the Ohm meter I

2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

check those relays they go bad on those zoom's all the time.
  3. ltng7679

ltng7679 LawnSite Member

Could you tell me where the relays are located?

4. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

We sell a lot of zooms and have never replaced a relay yet. More likely the wires have pulled loose and the clutch itself.
  5. ltng7679

ltng7679 LawnSite Member

I did some more diagnostics and it looks it's the clutch. I found one on Pete's small engine site for $209 versus $249 for an OEM. Anyone with any experience with the aftermarket clutches. Are they as good - not to say that I"m that pleased with the original, but I'd hate to get one that is even worse.

6. loc4xchamp

loc4xchamp LawnSite Member

I started using a zoom 2250 four years ago, after the first year the electric clutch needed replaced. Replaced by dealership for $498.00. Under 100 hours of use the clutch made some noise and before I could turn the PTO off I watched it come spinning out from under the engine. Bracket was bent and broke in half, belt was sliced, wires ripped from the clutch, and the worst was yet to come. I took a magnetic roller and searched for any other parts that might be missing while the clutch cooled and found a grade 5-7/16" bolt, lock washer, and big washer in the lawn. I discovered that the bolt had broken off in the shaft.
    A trip to the local machine shop cost $324.75 to remove the broken bolt from the shaft. A new belt was $70.00. Now what to do about the broke wires on the clutch?
    Any ideas? a new clutch will cost $269.00 and right now it's just too much to handle!! Can I carve some of the plastic back on the clutch to get to more wire? HELP!!:hammerhead:
  7. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

Most of the time the aftermarket clutches are Warner and the same as the oem clutch. But make sure you have the right one.