PTO problems?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rossmower, May 20, 2006.

1. rossmower

rossmower LawnSite Member

This is a repost of a question posted in the wrong category.

I have an MTD Pro 2554 ZTR (please keep the jeers to a minimum) to keep about 4ac mowed. Upon initial start, the blades engage just fine.

Sometimes I'll hop off to remove limbs out of my path. When I get back on & engage the PTO, the blades won't start back up immediately. It's like the PTO has a mind of it's own once the mower is warmed up good. The PTO used to engage after a minute or two, but lately it seems not to engage at all (unless the mower has sat for a while).

This has to be a simple problem, but I'm not sure what the symptoms point to. My hypothesis is that something is getting hot & not allowing the PTO to engage. Any thoughts?

Mower is an MTD model Z2554 (54" ZTR) with a 25hp Kohler command engine. The mower is kept at my Dad's - I'll get exact model & serial numbers after church tomorrow.

I'm glad I found this forum - I'm a "mower nut".

Roger

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We run all cub cadet and the problem is the pto needs to be adjusted. My father-in-law does it for us and it's a small bolt if I remember correctly. Call your local dealer and asked where to adjust it.:waving:

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I just posted this in another thread this morning so here's a paste;

Sounds like you may need to check the clutch air gap, If it's too wide it will cause the clutch to draw too many amps and could cause the problem you have. You will see three nuts with springs under them, Along side of each nut will be a slot in the clutch housing Insert a 0.012" feeler gage in the slot and it should fit snug, If not tighten the nut until it does. But only turn the nut a little at a time rotating around the clutch at all three slots, Because as you tighten one it will throw the others out.

We were a dealer for these units before the boss got smart and went to Dixie Choppers.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

THANKS RESTROROB!!! Thats what I was thinking of:dizzy: I remember how to do it again. There should be three bolts under the clutch. We have always just tightened them a 1/4 of a turn

5. rossmower

Wow! That was quick - thanks for the quick replies.

If the problem is the clutch air gap & the clutch is drawing too much amperage, could that cause excessive battery drain?

Roger

6. Restrorob

Most definitely, Thats why if you have a unit that has a electric PTO clutch you want to run the throttle wide open because the clutch draws a lot of amperage even when adjusted properly.

7. rossmower

Many, many thanks to Restrorob.

I checked and adjusted the clutch air gap today before mowing @ Dad's. At the end of mowing I was able to turn on & off the PTO a number of times & everything worked great! I was afraid to turn off the PTO until I was done, just in case the PTO wouldn't engage again.

I have another question. I've had problems with the battery not staying charged. I've done some board searching and determined it could be the stator or the regulator gone bad; however, is it possible that the wide clutch air gap was causing excessive drain & the stator/regulator just couldn't keep up with the charge rate?

In other words, if my battery continues to lose charge, the next thing to check would be the stator & regulator. The regulator is an easy replacement. Will a bad stator damage a good regulator if I were to replace the regulator first?

Thanks again for your help.

8. Restrorob

Yes it could, So try it a few days and see what happens. If it still gives a problem I would suggest checking the stator first, If it is shorted it could blow a new regulator.

9. oldgreygox33

oldgreygox33 LawnSite Member

Restrorob,
    I admire you and your mower repair know how. You have more knowledge on this subject in your little finger than the rest of us have in our whole body. You always have an answer, and you always seem to be able to keep your cool, and remain very diplomatic when dealing with some of the remarks and questions posted in this forum. Keep up the good work.

10. rossmower

I second that. I imagine most folks wouldn't take the time to help fresh meat such as me. I'm not a landscaper - I'm a surveyor that loves to be outside doing stuff, mowing being one of them.

Not knowing any "history" of this forum, I wasn't sure anyone would even answer and "outsider's" question. Not only was it answered, but QUICK. I participate in a surveyor's forum & I've seen how some people attack new posters asking somewhat elementary questions, so I know about what the grey fox speaks of (hopefully he wasn't referring to my question in his post).

So, hats off to you Restrorob. You've got my respect already.

I'm really glad I found this forum.

Roger