PTO Switch Problems on super z 24 hp honda

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rmauney, Jul 24, 2004.

1. rmauney

rmauney LawnSite Member

Any else with a 24 HP Honda SUPER Z HAVING PROBLEM with your PTO switch???? After 30 minutes or so running my deck stops. They have replaced the switch each time but the dealership is not in my backyard so it has really caused some down time, can't make money if it stays in the shop.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If it keeps burning out the PTO switch, it is most likely something else in the system.
    Please read the other thread you posted, I have replied there also.

Pj

3. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

How many Hours and how old is this unit??? The switch may not be your problem. Is there power at the clutch wires?? Some clutches do dont operate correctly when they get hot. Some of the older clutches have 3 nuts with springs under them. If you have this type the clutch air gap may need to be adjusted. This is a normal maintance issue which many shops and landscapers forget. The other newer type of clutch is self adjusting and needs no adjustment . When they dont work you replace it.I hope this helps. Switches rarly have the type of problem that you discused.
    :confused:

4. rmauney

rmauney LawnSite Member

New unit purchased in June 2003 and it has 85 hours

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I received a e-mail from our CS department yesterday.
    They spoke with your dealer and have the parts on the way to fix it.

Pj

6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Just got mine back today!Pto switch problems also.I have a 25 Kawasaki on mine.My dealer (quote) said the Hydrolic fan and the pto switch were on the same circut causeing the wire to get hot and therefore burned the switch out.They rewired the Hydrolic fan on a seperste circut with a fuse of its on,and in testing said the wire was not heating up.I will give the Z a test tomorow!Hope it works out,I"ll let you guys know!!

7. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

So far,so goooooooood

8. tn mac

tn mac LawnSite Member

I have a super mini also and have had 2 pto switches replaced and they told me the factory said they had a bad batch of switches. Hope the problem is fixed it is a pain to have to keep loosing my machine in the middle of the day and have to finish our yards short a mower. new 2005 mower 170 hours.