PTO will not engage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chitown King, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Chitown King

Chitown King LawnSite Member

Just not my year. New problem, pto will not engage on Bobcat ZTR. Doesn't even make a sound when I try to turn it on. Belt looks maybe worn, but I would think even with worn belt if I played with it enough I could get some signs of life. But I cannot. Ideas?

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

start simple get a new switch thats what it sounds like to me

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Don't run out and buy a switch, Check to see if your clutch has any adjustment to it. Many do not, but some do. I don't know if you have tried this, but pull the switch and then throttle up the engine a couple times. I've had one that would wear and when the gap got to be too much it took the extra vibration of the engine revving up to get it to grab and engage. If that dosn't work take the machine to the dealer and ask if you can just try a new switch, they will probably let you if you just plug it in sitting in their lot. Sure, they don't cost that much, but why throw money at parts that might not be the problem.

Also a simple one, check the plug in connection at the clutch. Make sure its tight, even try unplugging it and reconnecting. Oh, and is there a fuse or a breaker anywhere? With the clutch unplugged you could pull the switch and then use a tester to confirm you are getting power to the clutch.

4. DBL

even simpler turn the pto on nad try to manually move the belts forward to "bump them into gear

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

wow, well that's insane, and a GREAT way to loose a finger or three! Don't ever grab hold of a belt on a mower that's running! Too easy, and faster than you can imigine, if it grabs hold, before you can even let go it can run your fingers through a pulley.

6. Chitown King

Update - I talked to my guy that normally uses this mower. He told me that it was slow to engage the past couple of days. He would pull the switch and get no response for a few seconds or a couple times he would have to pull the switch a couple of times.

Does this change anyone's opinion?

7. DBL

nobodies using any hands push it along with your foot

8. Chitown King

I actually tried to push it along with something (a metal bar) already. Did not work.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

It could be one of the delay modules. Bobcats are kinda known for delay module problems. Thats one of the few frequent issues.

10. Chitown King

It did just turn out to be loose wiring. At least I played with the wires and it worked after. Hope it stays working.

Thanks for all the help.