public image from your truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontstreetlawns, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

i have a 93 f150 plain jane and a 94 f250 a litele better looking, I dont care much about the trucks personally bc the trucks dont make me money, they haul the tools around that make me money, they are both reliable but what i want to know is there a piont i should say hey i need to buy newer trucks just for my image, i dont want people to say his trucks are old im not calling him, and i dont want to pull up in a 40,000 truck and have them think " great im paying for that" whats your opionion?

2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 92 F350 crew cab. I keep it washed and clean. It is not a bad looking truck at all. I do believe you need to look somewhat profesional but you do not need a brand new latest and greatest truck. I had a guy last week actually ask me what I drive when he discovered I was in the lawn biz. I told him and he wrote down an address and told me to call him and give him a bid. I was a little puzzled and then he explained that the current guy drives a brand new 4 wheel drive crew cab ford truck and he felt the guy was way over charging. For some reason he did not like the fact that the LCO had a nice new truck, wierd.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Did he tell you what he was charging him? Lately I've told customers that I've spent every dime I had to open up the business and they seem to understand and will let me take care of their lawn. So do some don't.

4. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Ive had customers tell me they didnt go with a competior because of his older equipment. Was concirned his equipment might break down more often.

I think if u drive up in a nice looking rig(dont have to be new) Most customers
    think u have a sucessfull buisness, and will be more reliable.

I also think I depends on your area. If your servicing $1m+ homes in the best part of town, u need newer stuff.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If a customer thinks I make too much money because I have a nice rig, that's their problem. Image is important and I keep my stuff clean at all times. I'm not going to switch to junk because a customer might be jealous and/or think I'm overcharging to pay for it.

6. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

There's a difference between junk and being modest. There's nothing wrong with a 10 year old truck if it's clean. When you pull up with a color matching 08' Ford 550 dump and 20' enclosed trailer to a residential yard, you're price gets scrutinized. Most clients don't want or need to pay for that overhead.

The place for that is a commercial business park with a 4 or 5 man crew. It looks very professional for a business to hire a maintenance company that presents itself well. Brickman Group does a good job of that.

Geoff

7. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Everything I have is dented, scratched, and covered with mud. And one mower's maybe 30% brown from running over a spray can last week. Have one brown shoe too. Don't think customers here care.

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Theres a guy around here who cuts resis driving around in a station wagon with a roof rack. Short a few marbles, works cheap, quality sucks, very busy.

9. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

To some a very nice truck may be important. But to most customers they don't care as long as what you are driving is not a disgrace. Guys that drive around in $35,000+ trucks drive them because they like to have a very nice truck. Don't try and tell me that you can make more money because of your expensive truck. Even if you buy a 12-$15,000 truck and spend $1000/year on repairs you come out way ahead.

But hey, if you like working just to make the payments on your truck. Great. But I would rather spend the money on other things.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed, and I wasn't trying to put down anyone. By junk I meant falling apart, full of holes, dirty, no mufflered pickup.

I've seen plenty of older trucks that still look very professional because the owner takes care of them.

The devil's advocate says that the customer thinks you do very good work and have a lot of business, hence your ability to have the nice equipment.