Puddles in my yard..

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gogetter, Apr 1, 2002.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I tried search, but didn't really come up with anything.

Anyway, what would be the easiest/cheapest way to get rid of puddles in a yard?
    Between 1 and 3 inches of standing water in an area about 6'x12' after every rain.

It's on side of house. Have to walk around it everyday to get to backyard and trashcan area.

We rent so I don't want to spend much money at all.

I was thinking french drain pipe? If you agree, and tips on proper way to install?
    And if you disagree, other sugestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

im not much on drainage but wouldnt it be because its a low area? can u add some soil?

3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

like STS said, soil is the simple way to go.

if you really want to put a drain in, it isnt extremely complicated, or expesive as far as materials go.

you could either rent a ditch witch or trencing machine, or dig the trench by hand.

if you rent a machine, you need to call to have a company like central locating systems come out and mark where all the underground lines are. things like gas, water cable electric etc. it doesn't cost any money for them to come out and mark these areas.

two ways of installing the drain. the first is to tie it in to the existing gutter and downspout system. this can be a little tricky if you have never done it before.

the second way is to run the pipe to a area where the water can flow out freely. like a wooded area, or a landscaping bed.
    works best if you can get the water to a downhill run.

the materials you would need to do this would be:

4 inch drainage pipe(flexible kind works best)
    drain cap of some type-this should be a flat style cap-they come in various sizes depending on what you need.

small pebble style gravel-just enough to line the bottom of the trench. the gravel we use is known as number 57. i dont know if that is true everywhere or not though,

a few rocks for the end of the drain.

tools needed: shovel maddux, or pickaxe, hacksaw

the tools and materials i describe would be for the second option of installing a drain.

for the first option i mentioned, you would need additonal materials like glue, possibly an elbow or adapter to tie into the existing drainage system. you wont know what types of additonal material you will need until you find the existing underground system. it could be made out of old fashioned clay pipe or not.

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Figure out where the water is coming from - roof, driveway, or just surface runoff. If there is a major contributor, it may be easier to get rid or it by diverting it or making a drywell there before it reaches your lawn.
    Filling in a low spot only moves or spreads the problem if there is no way for the surface to drain off.
    Sometimes people have a tendency to bring all the water to one place to try and deal with one problem rather than to try and disperse the water to several points. ie, berm down the side of a driveway, connecting roof downspouts, ...
    A cruder alternative to filling the low spot or drywells or piping is digging a narrower and deeper low spot that retains the water, but covers less surface area of the lawn allowing you to easily walk around it. One simple dig and it is all over, but your land lords crying.

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

IF you go to your local home depot or lowes you will find these drains. They come in different sizes and the top of them is in green so i kinda blends in with the grass. So u dig a holeinsert it in the area which the water sits. Also before doing this chekc to see if the water is coming from somewhere and just not sitting there(like a gutter pipe or something just in case that way you can work on it from there) Anyway insert the drain in the ground in the wet area and then run a pipe either to ur next drain(all drains have two entrances) or to a bucket in the ground filled with rocks. You can also run it to other places that will let the water run out. Very inexpensive and quite easy to do

6. tlcservices

tlcservices LawnSite Member
    from fl

7. Patrick Harvey

Patrick Harvey LawnSite Member

What do you do if the existing underground drainage is made of clay pipe?(how do you tie in 4" corragated?). What is a dry well and how do you build one? Thank you for your input.
    Patrick Harvey
    Harvey Lawn Care
    Providence, KY

8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Dry well take a buket drill some holes in the side of the bottem of the bucket fill the bucket with large rocks. Dig a hole the length of a bucket and then 2 more feet. Make sure the pipe over laps the bucket by 2 inches so the water flows in. Before you fill in in you might want to put a stocking or drain sock which prevents dirt from prevent the water flow. Put one over the top of the bucket if possible. And thats your dry well

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Plant a river burch. We had a wet area, planted 3...no more water.