Puddling around impact/rotor sprinklers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zelenak, Jul 8, 2006.

1. zelenak

zelenak LawnSite Member

*newcanadaflag* I'm irrigating a newly seeded lawn and meadow of wild flowers with impact sprinklers. After having tweaked the spacing, diffuser, pressure etc. I'm still getting a far more concentrated (puddling) area of water around each rotor. Is there any way to avoid this. It has to do with the impact arm interfering with the stream and dropping more water around the sprinkler. I don't even want to try to reinvent the wheel. Is there any simple solution I'm missing?

Thanks!

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Impact heads always do this, which is why they are so superior for use on tall risers. For in-ground heads, especially on newly-seeded bare ground, the splashing is a problem. Try backing off on diffusers and adjusting screws, and living with any overspray, especially if the alternative is watching your seed wash away.

3. i would answer..but i'm scared to death of clowns

4. Nature of the beast. Try not to use the diffuser if possible.
    Impacts are good for distance with low pressure.

5. mwardy

mwardy LawnSite Member

Put a small square of sod around head

6. zelenak

zelenak LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses - except for the clown (lack of information-post redundant! Entropy! Boredom! Dumb!)

Next question is just how moist is moist? How deep should the soil be dry before I rewater the Rebel lawn seed? (ie. 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" etc.)

Or is a better way to guage the watering requirements how long after a patch of soil turns the lighter, dry color? (10 mins, 30 mins, 1hr., 2 hrs., 4 hrs. etc.)

Currently the lawn seed is germinating and the meadow seed will do whatever it does - we know it will all turn green we would just like to get some flowers in there too.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

7. We water newly seeded fescue lawns 3-4 times a day for the first 2 weeks. We water each zone for about 15 minutes on rotor and 5 on spray heads ,all depending on the coverage of the irrigation system. Then we scale back the frequency of watering over the next couple of weeks but keep the times about the same. In my area we have a red clay type of soil so we must water frequently since deep watering in not an option with this red clay soil. The fescue in my area requires about 2" of water a week.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Seed germinates best when it stays in moist contact with the soil. Water enough times per day and long enough to keep the area evenly moist. Of course temperature is going to have a direct bearing on this as will type/method of seed. i.e. normal seed vs. pre-soaked seed and whether or not there is any mulch/humus to help retain the moisture between cycles.