1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Puff of Smoke during start up...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HighGrass, May 22, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have a LazerHP w/23HP Kaw. Every 6-8 lawns or so, when i start it I get a puff of smoke...gray in color. Oil doesn't appear to drop all that much between changes. I use KAW Synthetic oil. I change oil and filter evry 40 hrs.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be too much gas. Make sure you do the correct shut-down procedure. Sorta sounds like it is getting too much fuel at shut-down and when you restart, it can't burn it all.

3. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

I'm not real sure about Kawasaki's. but my old Chevy did the same thing, and it was valve seals. It usually only happpend after it sat for a while.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

This is how I shut it down.

Normally when I am done mowing, I throttle back to idle and dis-engage mower.
    Then, I go back to about half throttle and load mower on trailer.
    Once on the trailer, I throttle back to idle and leave it that way as I close the gate. When I'm ready to go (1-3 minutes) I then shut the mower off with the key.

Drive to next lawn.

Start without choke unless it doesn't catch. I usually start with the throttle cracked a bit but nothing drastic.

5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

It could be due to transporting the machine. It would really just depend. if it is just a small puff of smoke, i wouldn't worry about it too much.