1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pull a 12' single axle HD frame + 52" mower with 1/2 ton??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowisme, Feb 19, 2008.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

Got to haul a 52" commercial stander mower on a 6.5ft x 12ft trailer. This is a fairly heavy duty trailer. uses 4" angle frame. I have used 1/2 ton Durango in town with trailer loaded down..but taking 250 mile trip. trailer and the one mower too much for Durango? Thanks- Geno
  2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

No way is that too much weight for a durango. You have the V8 right? That is not that much weight and you could pull it with a smaller vehicle with less power if you had too.
  3. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I drove 500 miles in my chevy 1500 1/2 ton, pulling a 12.5 trailer with a lazer on it. Didn't have any trouble at all. My truck has a 5.3 in it.
  4. mowisme

Thanks- I was hoping it would be ok..I do have a 1 ton chevy (vortec 350) but noticed serpintine belt has a hundred tiny cracks at edges of groves..and smell antifreeze everytime I open hood, but can't see any leaking anywhere? so..To be safe I'll use the Durango (318 V-8).
  5. dgZtrak737

dgZtrak737 LawnSite Member

I pulled 3000lbs (including trailer) with a 1/2ton chevrolet with a V6 it pulled fine, I had to have trailer brakes though. You should be fine.
  6. the lawnscaper

the lawnscaper LawnSite Member

Does anybody have any kind of "vibrating", when you pull your equipment with your pick up truck? When I was pulling my new trailer without equipment, it drove really smooth. But when I added my 52" Exmark and the rest of my stuff, it was very bouncy and vibrating. any ideas why???
  7. AmGreen

AmGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I've pulled a 61"ZTR, 36"Walk behind on a 6.5x12 with a 91' S-10 4.3 for most of last summer. pulled fine - original motor and transmission. Up and down the interstate.

the lawnscaper - sounds like you've got a busted shock. Good possibility...?...
  8. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Chances are one of your trailer tires is way off balance and when the trailer suspension is loaded it transfers the vibrations through the tongue to the truck but when the suspension isn't loaded the trailer just bounces slightly and doesn't affect the truck at all
  9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your fine, thats not too much weight at all.
  10. mowisme

You all have answered my question- thanks. I feel very confident now that the weight is not a problem. I do have external trans cooler too so that is a plus. Gene