Pull behind aerator decision!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Mar 4, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Well, my decision has been narrowed down to either the Classen or the Lesco. I know that the Lesco is a Classen, but I was wondering what the price differences are. The Lesco sells for $1500 for the 48" and the 60" sells for $1800. I have no idea what the Classens sell for. If the price is the same, I will go with Classen....the red paint is more favorable. Also, how hard oare these two units to fit through gates and when I mean fit, I mean how hard is it to take them off the mower and slide in sideways? A 60" aerator would be great for large front lawn, but my big concern is pulling them with the Walker. The Walker has the 26hp EFI Kohler, but not sure what kind of strain is going to be put on the hydro motors. A small lawn tractor would be ideal, but not in the budget....this year anyway.

Any help is appreciated.
    Matt

2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Buy the woods/gill pl 60 for the same $. Better machine, built like a tank!

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a millcreek 3pt which are the nicest aerators but they are $$$$$$.

With the weights you are going to put on it, I don't think you could drag it through side ways on narrow gates. Try looking at the walker aerator. Its has a camshaft driven aerator. Seems real nice. I don't like pull behinds, to hard to back up and have to go around in circles. My 3pt I can pick up and go ride over driveways, etc.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

A walker would pull it waaaaay better than a "Small Lawn tractor" The hydro pumps on our mowers are almost bullet proof You just have to ease them in on heavy loads. An instant load is what is a strain on them.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thanks guys. I looked at the aerator for the Walker, but didn't like a couple things. One, I don't want to hassle with taking the deck off to put on an aerator. It wouldn't be so bad if I had an extra Walker. Two, I am a little worried about the drive tires caking with mud if the soil is a little damp or if there is dew on the ground. I might just wait and see for awhile. I recently bought the Plugr PL800 and is great for walking, but a time killer on large lawns.