1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pull behind aerator

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cuttinggrassiscool, Feb 4, 2006.

1. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

hello once again.
    i was thinking about purchasing a pull behind plug aerator, like the type meant to be pulled behind a lawn tractor, i didnt know if they really work and don't know of anyone who has one first hand. thanks
  2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 60" Lesco pull behind. It's convertable in that the drawbar can be removed and it's set up for a cat. 1 3 pt. hitch. They also make a 48" model and I beleive they're a "twin" to the Claasen brand. I pull it behind my turf tracker (which is a dixie chopper converted to a sprayer). Without looking I think its about a 20-22 hp Kohler. When I need to I put 2-3 50 lb. bags of fert. on for wieght with no problem. Hope this helps, Marc.
  3. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a cheapo Craftsman 48" model and it does fine if you put some weight on it.
  4. cuttinggrassiscool

thanks guys sounds like it is a sound investment in the near future. one more question. up here(new england) is it generaly better to aerate in the spring fall or both? thanks
  5. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Why a pull behind aerater??? A walkbehind aerater is the way to go. Look into the Classen Split-Drive Aerater. It works basically like a walkbehind mower. When you wanna go left you just pull down on the left lever vise versa. I bought mine 3 yrs ago and it has been the best investment I made. Not sure what the prices are now a days but mine was $3,000 back then. I would imagine the price has come down some since.

The problem with pull behind is #1 u need to have a tracter or use a mower. Which takes up space. #2 is turn radius, you are going to lose time turning around, where the split drive aerater can do a zero turn like a mower, no lost time.

Well thats my thoughts, I wouldnt waste any money on a pull pull behind. GOOD LUCK
  6. cuttinggrassiscool

mow2nd. i agree completely with what you had to say, undoubtedly a machine like you describe would be more efficient. however at my stage in the game i would need to do many many jobs to justify such a purchase, i was really thinking about just a cheap pull behind so that i could over it to my clients and i would have something to use if i was asked to. i do have a tractor, so storage space wise this unit would be smaller then a walk behind, but on the trailer it would take up some more room granted. i agree with you but just not for my situation. but my real question is does the pull behind deliver the same quality job as the walk?
  7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Bluebird has 3' and 4' tow behind aerators for around $1000 including shipping on Alamia.com. The Classen split aerator sounds great, but what about for multiple acres?

Has anyone used the Bluebird tow behinds, and how well do you like them?
  8. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have used both, I honestly think that the walk behind aerators pull plugs a little better than the pull behinds. But if you are doing bigger properties, it is pretty time consuming to use a walk behind. The only thing that I will say, in the right conditions (meaning the lawn is not rock solid, if the soil is pretty soft) the pull behind aerators are just as good. I dont know if it would be an option for you but what I do is just rent the pull behind (or walk behind when small property). It only costs about 45-50 per day (more for walk behind). I am not sure how much it is to buy, but at least you can try it first to see if you would like it. Just my .02

9. jims5964

jims5964 LawnSite Member

when I was younger I used the walk behind, now that I am older I use the pull behind. The walk behinds do a better job but it is soooooooo much easier to tow that aerator.
  10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Ron. We generally have a wet spring and a dry fall here, so the tow behinds might just be good for spring here.