1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pull behind aerator?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CleanCutMowers, Sep 7, 2007.

1. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

What types of pull behind aerators are you all using? I am not looking for something huge and i do not mind do pay good money for something that is good. Thank You!
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 36" Bluebird with the water weights...does a decent job for the most part.
  3. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

classen here
  4. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

jrco here. Just pile the cement blocks on, and you're good.
  5. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have been researching this for a while now.

What I have found so far is the Classen units are tough to beat for doing a good job.... they are heavily built and the towable models can be converted to 3pt by removing the tounge.

These same units can be purchased through your local lesco store. They are just green there. :)

Ryan has an excellent reputation. with several models

Turfco' makes a unit.

Mill creek has gotten good press.

Bluebird also makes a decent unit.

Turf vent makes a unit that is more lightly built that the rest. A few guys have them here and they seem to work for most.

There are a few more that are out there for sure.

6. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

Thank You guys for the help. Next Question, what type of speed do I need to run with one of these? Thanks
  7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i have a lesco one that i use and love it. You can go pretty fast and it still pulls 3-3 1/2'' plugs without any problems. The only thing i dont like is that you have t manually have to lift each wheel. I want to put a electric lift on it, but hate to cut it up as its very clean. I may build another one with the electric.
  8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Good place to look is a golf course. They're notorious for buying equipment, using it once or twice and parking it. Friend of mine got a very nice tow behind cheap from a local course. We ran a Toro and it did a very good job. Aer-way is excellent also.
  9. avnorm

avnorm LawnSite Member

what about the Husqvarna TA 36" & 48" units for about $1k & $1.1K?

How do these compare to the Classen/ Lesco units?
  10. ccondie

ccondie LawnSite Member

im just useing a john deer pull behind that i had laying around. just got to pile on the weight.