Pull Behind Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FlatLander, Oct 4, 2003.

1. FlatLander

FlatLander LawnSite Member
    from PA

what make core aerator does everyone use? Are the ones sold at Sears (craftsman) any good for home or business use?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that the pull behind aerators don't do a good enough job. They don't go far enough into the ground. Who knows, I could be wrong, there might be some out there that do.

Amish country? I thought that I lived in Amish country..LOL

3. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using a 48" pull behind Lesco. Works very well pulled with 24hp HustlerZ. Never tried the Craftsman.

4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I mentioned in another thread that the Lesco pulled 3 1/2 in. plugs with 160lbs weight on it. We have sandy soil here, so may be harder to do where you are. If you get the opportunity, try one out.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Team Gopher,

That thread got a little ugly early on didn't it?

Flatlander wrote:

Are the ones sold at Sears (craftsman) any good for home or business use?

The one's sold at Sears are homeowner type aerators. They do hold up pretty well though as long as you're not doing a whole lot of aerations. The tines are hardened and they are mounted 2 to a set making turns easy. I use one but I'm only doing probably 20 aerations a year on 1/4 acre lots.

7. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Feldman with 160 lbs. added weight. It works fine.

8. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

FlatLander

I purchased the sears core aerator last year......here is the link

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07124328000

mine is last years model, real similar if not exact, except for color.

Around here, it does a Great job!!

especially like the spring loaded tines, saves from breaking/bending for those rocky areas u cant see.

i have used mine on several accounts, and customers are extremely pleased with results, same for me.

i lay 2 bundles of shingles on it for weight, as each bundle is around 75-80 pounds, then use a bungee cord to hold them in place (keeps a low center of gravity, plus no thrashing like with concrete blocks.

was a small investment, gets the job done, and makes me money.

i pull it with a simplicity lawn tractor 18 hp, no probs....a smaller tractor will work fine...

i generally try to time my aeration just after a good rain (anytime this year-monsoon year), and it pulls a nice 2 - 3 " plug...

one of my accounts, a nice home with 2 acres premium lawn, has me use it on their lawn 3 - 4 times a year!! per their request, not my recommendation...reason-the guy is a lawn freak, and used to have a guy do it with a 3 point aerator and 8n tractor. owner did not like the tracks the tractor left after aeration...

anyhow, for the cost, versus other more expensive equipment, ideal for my area...plus it has a 2 or 3 year warranty...with sears just return it if you are not happy

hope this helps a little with your decision, just my personal experience

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

36 inch Bluebird with about 300 pounds on it...pull it with a 325D Toro Groundsmaster. Does a nice job btw...