1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pull behind aerators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williamslawn, Mar 31, 2001.

1. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

Can anyone here suggest a pull behind core aerator? I am looking at the Bluebird, Turfco, and the Lesco. I will be pulling these with a 18hp lawn mower. I have several large properties and require a pull behind rather than a walk behind. Will the pull behind do as good of a job as the walkbehind? When I first started my business I purchased a cheap pull behind now I want one that will do a better job.

Thanks in advance for your honest opinions.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Eric uses a Lesco/Classen pull behind. It has the split axle so the turf doesn't get torn when turning. I think his was around $1200.00 bucks but it looks very well built.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I will give the Lesco/Classen 10 thumbs up. I used to use it with the 430 JD on the 3 point hitch, this season I tried it behind my 2001 Diesel Chopper and I will probably never use the JD to tow it now. The Lesco/Classen comes with a 3 point hitch set up and a tongue to go into the 3 point hitch so you can tow it behind anything that will pull it. With the split axle, you can go right around a tree and not mess up the turf. It is constructed out of solid bar steel, so it is built tuff.

BTW, my Lesco dealer told me to try it for a day and if I didn't like it, bring it back. I didn't bring it back. :)

There are pictures of it on my equipment page.
  4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey eric whats the weight on the tow behind?...im thinking about geting one to tow behind my XWF2400 (24 honda)....do u think the Dixie would put it?
  5. Eric ELM

Your XWF2400 should pull it with style. :)

Barkleymut pulls his with a XWF2500 and he is the one that got me interested in a Lesco/Classen aerator.

It weighs 325 lbs.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 03-31-2001 at 10:46 AM]
  6. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Eric ,
    How wide? How old ? And how much?Does it load on and off the trailer ok ? I noticed Chopper wheels have bigger treads than my lazer . Is that going to matter ? Do you use weights on the front of your DC?
  7. Eric ELM

Mine is the 48" which actually plugs 42" wide and it was $1299. They also have a 60" that is around $1800, but I think you would need a bigger machine to pull it.

I use no weights on the Chopper, but I do put some on the aerator when the ground is hard. It can handle up to 700 lbs. of weights according to Lesco and I would say it could handle more than that the way that thing is built. To put it on the trailer, just put the wheels down and drive on up. It loads just fine.

It is 2 years old but I'm sure it will last for 20 or 30 years the way it is built. Probably forever. :)

I don't know how much a Lazer can pull. I do know they don't even come with a hitch, so maybe they are not meant to pull with. Ask your dealer about that. I do know that DC said that 1000 lbs. towing is fine.

As I have said before, if anyone gets a Lesco or Classen pull behind, I set mine up to use the wheels on the aerator as gauge wheels so it only goes in so deep in case of under ground dog fences ect. Just set the spoons on a hard surface and put a 2" block under the wheel and where ever that plunger that goes into the top or bottom hole is at, drill another hole there on each side so the wheels become gauge wheels. I drilled a set of holes at 3" also. It works out good. :)
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use the same one as Eric. It's build like a brick out house. Payed $1250 for it last year. Check on eBay. Last year there was one for sale that was used 3 times and the guy wanted $600 for it. It never sold! It looked brand new in the picture.
  9. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

The Lesco dealer showed me there aerator It was very well built but it did not have the split axle it also was $1400. Does anyone have a Bluebird? It cost less, has a split axle but, it is only 36". It cost $999.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Are you sure the axle wasn't split? As far as I know both Lesco models, 42" and 60" ,have split axles.