Pull behind Core Plugger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Larry Overcash, May 13, 2010.

1. Larry Overcash

Larry Overcash LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys use a pull behind core plugger? I'm thinking of buying one and was wondering if they work good, or if they are junk. In the past i have just rented a walk behind, but they are pricey and take to long. Give me some input on what you guys are using and what brands. Thanks for any input...

2. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

if you have a ton of weight those sears or HD/lowes ones work ok

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using one of the cheapie aerators for years. They work just as good as a commercial aerator. They're just not as heavy and won't take the abuse a commercial unit would. The amount of weight you need to put in them all depends on how hard your soil is. I usually use 2 standard cinder blocks in my 36" pull behind.

4. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i had a 48". i poured concrete in the holes of the cinder block. made it real heavy. a ztr sucks for towing and should not be used for aerating.

5. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

If you want a better quality residential or a commercial tow behind aerator check out this link below to Pro-Aire core aerators.

http://www.turf-aire.com/proaire.html

6. Larry Overcash

That would be what i need, but it's a little high priced for me right now. I don't want one of the cheap one's like from Lowes or anything. I'll save my pennies for a while longer. Thanks...

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A tow-behind aerator will NEVER do as good a job as a walk behind.

8. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Not arguing, but why? Don't they both do the same thing.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Why does a walk behind do a better job? I use a pull behind. It pulls plugs and leaves them all over the place. Is it the aerator spoons? Most companies use the exact same spoons regardless of which aerator they're in. I can aerate circles around a walk behind.

Why is that? I've been towing aerators behind 2 different Dixie Choppers for 10 years now. They do a fine job of it.

10. Larry Overcash

I've used both also, one is not better than the other as far as the actual plugging goes.