Pull behind from scratch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MANicure, Jun 7, 2004.

1. MANicure

MANicure LawnSite Member

I have an idea to take an old deck that I can get for next to nothing and modify it to create a pull behind mower. My current push mower has a 6.5 hp motor but the chassis is shot. I would like to take that motor and hook it up to a deck and buy a new push mower. Has anyone tried this? Is it even worth trying to do? How big of a deck can that size motor pull? Does anyone have an old pull behind that needs some work that they might be interested in selling? Anyone have any thoughts?

2. chuckscar

chuckscar LawnSite Member

your 6.5 hp will spin one blade maybe two will the right belt system, but for get high grass wont go thru. what size is the good deck, have idea for you email me that way i can get back to you quicker.:cool:

3. MANicure

MANicure LawnSite Member

What's your idea?

4. chuckscar

chuckscar LawnSite Member

what size deck and what make and will get started

5. MANicure

MANicure LawnSite Member

I have access to numerous sizes and makes. The most handy is a JD 42" advertised at a sale. I know the guy and he will let me have it if I want it. If that is too big I can go smaller.

6. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Well? What was this idea? I'm interested.:confused:

7. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

Hey, I am interested in getting a deck
    Maybe u can help me out?
    Thanks

8. MANicure

MANicure LawnSite Member

I would like to mount the motor directly on the deck and use the vertical shaft to drive one of the pulleys on the deck. The belt and that pulley would directly drive all three belts. I don't think the power requirement would be that great because you are only driving the deck. I'm basically going to weld a frame to hang the deck from so it will float like any other deck. I am going to mount the motor to the edge nearest my mower so I can trim under evergreens. The frame will be mounted on the front plate of my mower giving me great visibility.