Pull Behind Spreader TSC

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gettingstartedtampa, Mar 31, 2005.

1. gettingstartedtampa

gettingstartedtampa LawnSite Member

Any thoughts opinions on a pull behind spreader? $500± is too steep for my start up budget. Tractor Supply has a "commercial" spreader, big tires and and hitch mount for $169.00. Never having pulled anything with the ZTR just wondered if would be more trouble turning/backing etc.... Of course the on/off lever cable would have to be extended to the operator area.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What are you going to be spreading with it?
  3. gettingstartedtampa

Fertilizer... probably LESCO granular
  4. Moonlight

Moonlight LawnSite Member

I bought one, thinking I would save a little money. The wheel came off of it after I made the first round. Dumped 100 pounds of fertilizer on the ground. Fixed that wheel, reloaded all the fertlizer I could pick up and started again. Next pass, the other wheel came off and dumped the load of fertilizer again. I bought a self propelled from lesco and have had NO problems.......productivity and waste are huge money
  5. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

lowes has a nice agri-fab unit for $100, I use it behind a small rear engine rider mower to put icemelt down on sidewalks at the school
  6. gettingstartedtampa

We must be talking about a two different models. This has a solid steel rod axle with a keyway and cotter pin. Unless the pins were left out I can't see the how the wheels would just come off.